Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Thread: Ideal rod length for nymphing

Default Ideal rod length for nymphing

I'm looking to upgrade my Yellows rod for nymphing.

What is the ideal length for nymphing.

Also how big a difference does a 9ft vs 9,6ft vs 10ft rod make?
    Frederick

"If women are so bloody perfect at multitasking, how come they can't have a headache and sex at the same time?" - Billy Connolly

"The harder you try, the luckier you get" - Gary Player.

"If your mind can conceive it; and your heart can believe it - then you can achieve it." - Muhammad Ali

Love my Stealth Magnum 5# 10ft.

What type of nymphing would you primarily be looking at? different nymphing applications have different rod suitability criteria.
    Disclaimer.... none of my posts are intended to be "expert advice"..just opinions from someone who is willing to help where he can.

Interesting read with very valid points, although I might not agreee with all..
    http://www.tacticalflyfisherman.com/...ion-nymph.html
    Korrie Broos

Don't go knocking on Death's door, ring the bell and run like hell. He hates it. (anon)
    Nymphing, adds depth to your fly fishing.
    Nymphing, is fly fishing in another dimension

Quote Originally Posted by Andre View Post
    What type of nymphing would you primarily be looking at? different nymphing applications have different rod suitability criteria.
    Nymphing for yellows on the Vaal and when I eventually get the opportunity the Orange river as well.
    Frederick

"If women are so bloody perfect at multitasking, how come they can't have a headache and sex at the same time?" - Billy Connolly

"If your mind can conceive it; and your heart can believe it - then you can achieve it." - Muhammad Ali

Yes Im aware that it is nymphing for yellows on the Vaal, but in order to assist you, what type of nymphing would you want to do? There are various types of short line techniques and various types of longer line techniques, and the type of rod ideally suited to the different techniques would be discussed and you would be able to make a decision based on some relevant information.
    A good start, would be for you to identify what is important in your chosen style of nymphing. How do you "detect " the take? what type of "fly rig"? in other words, single fly, two flies, three flies. this will help in identifying the type of loop you will cast, perhaps you need a rod that casts an open loop. If you are fishing close, or at distance, its good to know in order to best recommend the rod for the type of casting you will do.
    Quote Originally Posted by FCLoretz View Post
    Nymphing for yellows on the Vaal and when I eventually get the opportunity the Orange river as well.
    Disclaimer.... none of my posts are intended to be "expert advice"..just opinions from someone who is willing to help where he can.

I normally fish close, with the odd occasion that I will fish as a distance. In general I use dropper with 2x additional flies. It is a NZ-type rig that I use. I use a strike indicator to detect strikes but mainly i feel for the take.
    Frederick

FC, 10' is a major difference from 9'. The extra reach you get on the river/stream is significant.
    My nymphing took a clear step forward when I moved to a 10' rod. Better control of the drift of longer leaders, better reach with short-line casts.
    The only downside is that the rod is heavier and the balance isn't as good, so it is a bit more tiring to fish. If that is a problem, depending on your attitude to such things, the solution would be to go down a weight (e.g. to #4 vs #5).

cut the cr*p people - 5wt 10ft klaar.

If you want to do Inverse Lebanese Angular Nymphing you might have a problem, but besides that its a great length for most of what you want to do.
    "So here’s my point. Don’t go and get your ego all out of proportion because you can tie a fly and catch a fish that’s dumb enough to eat a car key.." - Louis Cahill - Gink and Gasoline

Quote Originally Posted by gkieser View Post
    cut the cr*p people - 5wt 10ft klaar.

If you want to do Inverse Lebanese Angular Nymphing you might have a problem, but besides that its a great length for most of what you want to do.
    Great advice in first sentence.
    VERY FUNNY Second sentence.
    Korrie Broos

Don't go knocking on Death's door, ring the bell and run like hell. He hates it. (anon)
    Nymphing, adds depth to your fly fishing.
    Nymphing, is fly fishing in another dimension

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast