Thread: leader line help please!

Question leader line help please!

I have been googling allot lately and searched the forum but do not seem to find the answer I am looking for.

I have a 3WT, 5WT and 9WT setup. I have only recently started to fly fish and well it is quite intimidating learning all the new aspects of fly fishing. As I used to only go for big sharks, grunter, cob and leervis on chizzle nose plugs!

I am improving day by day as I practice my casting allot, but without fies attached. I now started to attach flies and well I do not get them to turn over.

I did have 2 tapered leaders but wasted them practicing with my 5 & 9WT.

I would like to make my own tapered leaders.

What I have done so far in making my own tapered leader:

I have not tested it tho!

50Lb floro ( 0.6mm) as butt section (1.3m long)
    20Lb floro (? do not know) as mid section (.5m long)
    3x tippet (0.5m long)

I plan to use it on my 5 wt setup

Now after this whole background story
    What is the go to way of making your own leaders for my 3 setups? i.e 3WT leader, 5 WT leader and 9WT leader?

I just can not afford to buy the shop tapered leaders all the time as I mess them up way to often.

thanks for the patience to teach a newb!

tight lines everyone!!!

Lots of different leader setups in this download
    http://globalflyfisher.com/fish-bett...rcalc-download

Somewhere on the site is the leader setups of the French as well
    Korrie Broos

Don't go knocking on Death's door, ring the bell and run like hell. He hates it. (anon)
    Nymphing, adds depth to your fly fishing.
    Nymphing, is fly fishing in another dimension

THANK YOU!!!

That is a big help! Will go and buy line now!!!

What do you mean, " you do not get them to turn over"? does the flyline go out, and the leader stay behind???? there has to be an element of turnover if you are getting the fly line to move.
    I suspect it might not be a leader problem, but more towards a problem with your technique. May I suggest that you get someone to have a look at your casting. If you are messing up leaders way to often, then you are doing something wrong. A leader should be lasting you a long time.
    Disclaimer.... none of my posts are intended to be "expert advice"..just opinions from someone who is willing to help where he can.

Andre, what happened is I get a cast of +-18 m constantly after a lesson with Ryan and many hours of practice.

My leaders I bought I broke by hanging them in trees and getting knots in them. so I made my own one. strait 6x tipet of 2m. when I cast fly line goes out and fly lands inside a birdsnest of tipet!

I have made a new leader this morning, 1m 0.6mm, .8m 0.3(01x), .6m 0.25(1x) and tipet 5x. went out casting an hour ago and my flies turned over no prob!

the "dump of energy was to much I believe.

Where in the Cape are you?. Perhaps we should meet and I can try and see what you are doing wrong, perhaps help with your casting. send me a pm and I will contact you.
    Quote Originally Posted by AlecJ View Post
    Andre, what happened is I get a cast of +-18 m constantly after a lesson with Ryan and many hours of practice.

My leaders I bought I broke by hanging them in trees and getting knots in them. so I made my own one. strait 6x tipet of 2m. when I cast fly line goes out and fly lands inside a birdsnest of tipet!

I have made a new leader this morning, 1m 0.6mm, .8m 0.3(01x), .6m 0.25(1x) and tipet 5x. went out casting an hour ago and my flies turned over no prob!

the "dump of energy was to much I believe.
    Last edited by Andre; 01-04-16 at 04:31 PM.
    Disclaimer.... none of my posts are intended to be "expert advice"..just opinions from someone who is willing to help where he can.

Quote Originally Posted by Andre View Post
    Where in the Cape are you?. Perhaps we should meet and I can try and see what you are doing wrong, perhaps help with your casting. send me a pm and I will contact you.
    Andre, Thanks for the help! really appreciate it!

You welcome. Good to meet you.
    Quote Originally Posted by AlecJ View Post
    Andre, Thanks for the help! really appreciate it!