Thread: Wanted - Shilton SL5 or similar for TFO BVK #8

Default Wanted - Shilton SL5 or similar for TFO BVK #8

Good day

I am getting set up for light salt water fly fishing and am looking for a second hand reel. A Shilton SL5 would be first prize, but anything of similar quality would be great.

Alternatively, does anyone have any recommendations of affordable new reels I should be looking at?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Maurice View Post
    Good day

I am getting set up for light salt water fly fishing and am looking for a second hand reel. A Shilton SL5 would be first prize, but anything of similar quality would be great.

Alternatively, does anyone have any recommendations of affordable new reels I should be looking at?

Thanks

I do not know Squat about the brands, but I got a stealth bluewater 9/10 loaded with 150m maxima 30Lb braid 100m? airflo 30Lb dacron and it looks awesome, drag is very good in my opinion(I have not used any other fly reel with disk drag) it runs smooth like my penn squall 60LD just not the same amount of drag.

I bought it with a set but asked stealth, they retail for round R2k

For light saltwater you don't need anything more than these....

http://www.kilwell.co.nz/products/ca...-fly/KILGEN278

I bought the 9wt model the other day for a quick trip down to the coast at R400 a reel.
    Bought two and loaded the one with fast sink and the other with intermediate.
    Good value for money and has a smoother drag than most of the reels in the R1000-R3000 price range.
    Spent 2 hours tightening drags and turning the spools and if the startup inertia were sluggish I put it aside.
    It's not a Shilton, but it will serve you well. I was very impresses by it. Sand got in everywhere, I just dipped it in the saltwater and continued fishing. Rinsed it under clean water every night and it did exactly what I wanted it to do.

I like high end reels but I also like stuff that is cheap, can take some punishment and works even if you drive over it by mistake.

Drop Gani's a call or find out if the stores in your area stock these.

I paired my BVK with a 3 tand reel...great setup if you can still find a reel locally...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by swsmith; 08-04-16 at 08:59 AM.
    stephen is wishing he was fishing location x right now.......

Stephen Smith

I'll second the 3 Tand, great reels that were available at a great price. But I'm not sure if they are still available locally?

Thanks so much for the advice. I'm going to have a look at all of the suggested reels It looks like 3 tand isn't locally available anymore though. Does anyone know what the wade reels are going for?

abel