Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Winter menu: what are the options?

Oh yes, and the normal mustard caddis with a trailing ptn or grhe as flies, about 1.5m deep in total from the indicator.
    Tiaan

Fly Fishing Addict

Quote Originally Posted by yella View Post
    Oh yes, and the normal mustard caddis with a trailing ptn or grhe as flies, about 1.5m deep in total from the indicator.
    That's exciting Tiaan, thanks for sharing.

What happens to yellows in really small streams during winter (highveld)? In larger rivers they move to deeper water, but in small streams they seem to simply dissappear, I just wonder where they all go.

Die gewonde LM & SM maar ek gaan baie meer fokus op Midges....oftewel dis die plan hehe!!!
    Last edited by Gerrit Viljoen; 18-04-16 at 08:37 PM.

BenzoV, i have read passed articles around Rhodes, they always mention about yellows coming up into the streams when warmer seasons arrive in the region. they probably leave the very skinny water to deeper water near that region, maybe its falls in waters not opened to the public. on the other hand, fish are cold blooded and adjust themselfs to very cold water just that they become very inactive and very difficult to make them bite, less active less food they need to eat

Ben your welcome to come fish with me in May/June. It usually helps to see proof that something works
    Tiaan

Fly Fishing Addict

as an option, fishing those slow deep glides off a floating device (small duck or a pontoon)

I think they retreat back downstream into the main river and out of the tributaries. As in the rivers around the Rhodes area in summer they come up the Kraai, and into the tributaries, and they can be found surprisingly high up. I one caught a yellowfish in the river section adjacent to the town, but as the autumn sets in, they retreat back down towards the Orange river.
    Quote Originally Posted by BenzoV View Post
    What happens to yellows in really small streams during winter (highveld)? In larger rivers they move to deeper water, but in small streams they seem to simply dissappear, I just wonder where they all go.
    Disclaimer.... none of my posts are intended to be "expert advice"..just opinions from someone who is willing to help where he can.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2