Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: #2 and #3 SAGE SPEY RODS

Hi Pierre
    That sounds amazing.
    It will be lovely if I can try out the rod.
    A couple of weekends ago on Lakies, whilst sitting on the boat, I thought about the double handed rods and how much less effort it will be to cast.
    Not sure if it is that easy on a croc. but from the side, what a pleasure, escpecially when Lakies is full and lots of fynbos behind you.
    Korrie Broos

Don't go knocking on Death's door, ring the bell and run like hell. He hates it. (anon)
    Nymphing, adds depth to your fly fishing.
    Nymphing, is fly fishing in another dimension

Quote Originally Posted by Fly-o-holic View Post
    Hi Korrie,

I have just taken my 9ft Stealth Bomber and converted it to a 11.3 spey rod. Purchased a 2wt Scandi line and proceeded to do the Spey thing. Absolutely love it.
    I have researched the complete Spey casting technique and have decided that this is a technique that will add another dimension to still water fishing.It will only be a short while then all stillwater anglers will be practicing spey or two handed casting. I still need to finish the rod off with spraying the blanks the same colours, add a screw in butt section of 5 inches, as i used an 12wt Reddington as the additional butt section.

regards,
    Pierre
    I re-read the thread about your conversion and all the "problems" etc why it will not work.
    Interesting, and it is exciting to see what the final product will look like and how it will cast
    Korrie Broos

Don't go knocking on Death's door, ring the bell and run like hell. He hates it. (anon)

Korrie, this is an interesting thread, I recently had an American angler on the boat and he fished a #6 switch (Beulah) for largies it had an #8 sink tip shooting head type line. In my opinion, it was absolutely perfect for the purpose. So much so, that I ordered a blank to build one up. He was quite successful, 3 largies in 2 days, one good fish. He caught 4 smallies on streamers as well.
    _DSC8281 - Copy (800x538).jpg

Absolutely agree,
    I would 1st want to have the rod made decent though. I have asked Koos to give me some sort of idea on costs.

The technique lends itself to slower and more relaxed fishing, a case in point as we all fish too quickly in any case.

Nice video. The fish are quite obviously not affected by line splash, which is my main concern with this type of casting. Spooky trout arent not going to like it
    Quote Originally Posted by E.T. View Post
    Korrie here is a clip where they fish those Ultra Light Two Handers.....

Disclaimer.... none of my posts are intended to be "expert advice"..just opinions from someone who is willing to help where he can.

Hi Andre,

There are two two techniques that you can choose from i.e. the Skagit line (anchored casting - this is the large splash) and the Scandi line. The Scandinavian line casting has very little splash as it is merely the leader that anchors the line and not the fly line. Further to this, the Scandi line lends itself to double handed casting much more than the Skagit line. The only problem with the Scandi line is that it is available in floating with tips, whereas the Skagit is available in various sinking densities.

The splash with the Scandi is minimal and will not (within reason) spook fish. If you want to fish fast flowing water and want the fly down into the zone, go skagit,for dry fly, slower fishing, nymphing, go Scandi with various density leaders.

I do not think that you would use the Skandi and Skagit cast for gentle #18 dry fly presentation on a 18 foot leader and 8 x tippet setup.
    This was developed for bigger rivers, bigger flies, and bigger fish. Or I think so?
    Korrie Broos

Absolutely, also realize that a 2 weight switch rod is equal to a 5-6 weight line in conventional fishing line.
    I see the application for steamer, nymphs suspended under a larger dry or indicator and slow damsel, etc fishing. I also believe that the ska it sinking and intermediate lines have a very real application in estuary fishing. Long comfortable casts to the feeding fish.
    QUOTE=Korrie;266363]I do not think that you would use the Skandi and Skagit cast for gentle #18 dry fly presentation on a 18 foot leader and 8 x tippet setup.
    This was developed for bigger rivers, bigger flies, and bigger fish. Or I think so?[/QUOTE]

Hi Pierre

Sorry if you mentioned this somewhere already, but what weight was your Bomber before conversion?

Hi Benzo,

I took a 5 wt Bomber, the fastest rod I had at the time. Although it does the job, I would still like to have less flex in the bottom area of the blank.
    Quote Originally Posted by BenzoV View Post
    Hi Pierre

Sorry if you mentioned this somewhere already, but what weight was your Bomber before conversion?

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast