Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Do You Practice Fly Casting ?

Yes I knew someone would say this. I must admit during my first trip to De Mond, I quickly learned to back cast into the wind. Dam was my arm sore after that trip.
    We don't stop playing because we grow old; We grow old because we stop playing!
    ~ George Bernard Shaw ~

Quote Originally Posted by chriss View Post
    Yes I knew someone would say this. I must admit during my first trip to De Mond, I quickly learned to back cast into the wind. Dam was my arm sore after that trip.
    HEHE, ja DE Mond is not kind when it comes to wind. It got the better of me the day I was there as well.
    Daryl Human

The solution to any problem -- work, love, money, whatever -- is to go fishing, and the worse the problem, the longer the trip should be. --John Gierach

I must make a plan to execrcise- received some casting lessons from Hermans Jooste whilst on the Vaal.
    Standing perched/"dancing" on small slippery rocks, surounded by vvv cold water is not the best place to practice if you are a novice.
    I also found out that the combo flyfishing kits (maybe meant for kiddies, but then my girlfriend likes to play with me!!) come supplied with a fly line that is very springy and hard, almost like weedeater string, if exposed to cold weather/water.

i practiced in the beginning at the rugby field. after a coupla years now, some bad habbits have started to creep in and it's time to go iron them out. they don't bug me but to smoothen my cast i know i need to spend some time. trouble is, i say to myself i'll do it while fishing but always tend to "fish" best place for me is the field and then i have to concentrate on the casting rather than the fishing.
    Behold the fisherman. he riseth early in the morning and disturbeth the whole household. mighty are his preperations. he goes forth full of hope and when the day is ended, he returneth smelling of strong drink and the truth is not with him. originator unknown.

my stuff.... http://www.flytalk.co.za/forum/album.php?u=824[/SIZE]

Like all sports, practice can be very boring.
    In our case, even more so - a bit like an archer practicing without arrows or a mountaineer in the Karoo!

So,it seems practicing is not so popular.....
    But,is that means you are 100% happy with your casting?

Unless you have this in your back yard:

Attachment 945
    Daryl Human

The solution to any problem -- work, love, money, whatever -- is to go fishing, and the worse the problem, the longer the trip should be. --John Gierach

Every time I feel like practising, I go and lie down till the feeling goes away.
    If everybody is thinking alike, nobody's thinking - George Patton

I do practise casting. Luckily at my Club which is over the road from my office I can practice lunchtimes 'dry' and 'wet' types on the dam, or if I wish not to be distracted by water, distance casting on the soccer/rugby fields adjacent - I can't get in saltwater casting practice per se, but our windswept sports fields allow a modicum of reality! We don't have running water though to practise mending and odd casts but I usually find that comes with fishing practice on different types of river and stream and usually anyway each cast needs to be adapted on the day for each specific water condition, bankside/vegetation and fish position.
    I must admit though I do usually end up practising other arm-bending activities most lunchtimes - Darryl was witness to a practice session only the other week.

P.S. Look after Devlin, you Capies, he's such a sensitive little boy!

Quote Originally Posted by chris williams View Post
    I do practise casting. Luckily at my Club which is over the road from my office I can practice lunchtimes 'dry' and 'wet' types on the dam, or if I wish not to be distracted by water, distance casting on the soccer/rugby fields adjacent - I can't get in saltwater casting practice per se, but our windswept sports fields allow a modicum of reality! We don't have running water though to practise mending and odd casts but I usually find that comes with fishing practice on different types of river and stream and usually anyway each cast needs to be adapted on the day for each specific water condition, bankside/vegetation and fish position.
    I must admit though I do usually end up practising other arm-bending activities most lunchtimes - Darryl was witness to a practice session only the other week.

P.S. Look after Devlin, you Capies, he's such a sensitive little boy!
    Chris when are we doing another practice session? Arm bending or casting? I only have another one planned in three weeks time so far.
    Fishing is just my thing. I don't know what it is but it seems that i just can't get enough of it.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast