Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sage TXL-F 2710-4 swap for 3710-4

Default Sage TXL-F 2710-4 swap for 3710-4

I have a basically new 2 wt factory TXL-F. I love the way the rod casts, but it is just a bit too light for me to use it regularly. If someone out there wants to go a bit lighter and they have a 3wt txl-f that they feel is a tad too heavy I would love to swap it out.
    Tiaan

Fly Fishing Addict

I think you are crazy to want to swop it for a 3wt. The 2 wt is a much better rod in that it has way more fishing feel and sensitivity on the short line, which is what you basically need for stream fishing. The 3wt in my opinion is a little too fast for the rod weight, and fishes more like a 4wt. Just my opinion., but if you are looking at it from a casting perspective only, then do it, but from a medium light fishing tool, I would stay with the 2wt.
    Quote Originally Posted by yella View Post
    I have a basically new 2 wt factory TXL-F. I love the way the rod casts, but it is just a bit too light for me to use it regularly. If someone out there wants to go a bit lighter and they have a 3wt txl-f that they feel is a tad too heavy I would love to swap it out.
    Disclaimer.... none of my posts are intended to be "expert advice"..just opinions from someone who is willing to help where he can.

Does that mean you want to swap Andre?

Your description of the problems with the 3wt make me want it even more
    Tiaan

Fly Fishing Addict

Tiaan, no I wouldn't want to swop. I got rid of my TXL's a long time ago, because they are too fast for me. Even the 2wt, and because of the short length of them, they cannot do the type of fishing that I like to do, and not very good at all with the long leader fishing, they just not designed for it.. They are very nice rods, but not for me. The 2wt is a very nice dry fly rod, and extremely powerful in the breeze. If you prefer the 3wt for the type of fishing that you want to use it for, then all good, and I am sure that you will love it.
    Does that mean you want to swap Andre?

Your description of the problems with the 3wt make me want it even more
    Disclaimer.... none of my posts are intended to be "expert advice"..just opinions from someone who is willing to help where he can.

Have you tried using a 3w line? Rod should handle it easily

I fish mine with a 3 weight WF GPX, and it will even handle a reasonably large hopper. Wind was howling downstream on the Smalblaar yesterday and I could still turn a 14 ft leader over without too much difficulty.

Are you saying that you fish your 2wt TXL-F with a 3wt line?
    I know that there are people who do overline their rods, but for me, I am not in favour of that, especially for light rods. Heavier rods it is less of a problem. My reasoning is that it has a tendency to alter the action too much for my liking, and if you want you rod to feel so vastly different, I have to ask why the rod was purchased in the first place. Especially the TXL rods, which are quite fast, and for good reason.
    On the other hand, if you are fishing very short, with only a few meters of line out, then it really makes very little difference, so why even bother to overline it?
    Quote Originally Posted by tombosis View Post
    I fish mine with a 3 weight WF GPX, and it will even handle a reasonably large hopper. Wind was howling downstream on the Smalblaar yesterday and I could still turn a 14 ft leader over without too much difficulty.

I had the line available and decided to try it on the rod, it felt like a good match so I stuck with it. It makes the short distance casting a pleasure, and provides a bit more grunt for when the wind blows/ larger terrestrial patterns. To be honest I thought it would overload the light stick, so was pleasantly surprised when this was not the case and I didn't have to spring for a new 2 wt line.

I didn't overline my rods for many years, but with the trend towards faster actions in recent years most modern rods feel better overlined by at least 1 wt. I remember having a throw with a Method a couple of years back, a 5 weight with a 7 weight line on it! There is no way that stick is a 5 weight!

Thanks for the advice guys.

Im also not a big fan of overlining rods - I usually dont like the rods that go well with overlining as they tend to be too fast for my preference.

So I would still prefer to swap the 2wt for the 3wt if possible.
    Last edited by yella; 28-04-16 at 02:25 PM.
    Tiaan

Fly Fishing Addict

Yes, but if you are looking at a 3wt TXL, its also quite a fast rod, so might not solve the problem that you had with the 2wt. see if you cant find a 3wt and tryit out if you haven't done so already.. Sounds to me like you need more of a ZXL type rod.
    Thanks for the advice guys.

Im also not a big fan of overlining rods - I usually dont like the rods that go well with overlining as they tend to be too fast for my preference.

So I would still prefer to swap the 2wt for the 3wt if possible.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast