Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Preserving feathers

Quote Originally Posted by ShaunF View Post
    Matt, is that you ???
    Yes? Have I met you before?

Quote Originally Posted by ShaunF View Post
    Matt, is that you ???

I think the problem isn't really capes, skins etc coming from the manufacturer infected with bugs. I'm pretty sure they have a fairly strict regime to deal with any critters living in whatever product it is.

I think the main problem is things like fishmoths getting into your materials. You want to see the damage one of these things can do to a cape. And they're everywhere. Leave an expensive cape or saddle out the packet and unprotected at your own peril !
    Yeah, I agree with you, most of my beetle infestations have been with my furs, despite them being sealed in plastic containers. My capes have not suffered at all. I don't think it is a bad idea to keep all your furs seperately contained from your expensive capes as a rule.
    "Innocence is a wild trout. But we humans, being complicated, have to pursue innocence in complex ways" - Datus Proper

I keep all my capes in bags in a large tupperware. All fur etc is kept in a seperate tupperware. I take old plastic film canisters, cut an X in the lid with a sharp knife and fill them with moth balls. I chuck 5 or 6 canisters in each tupperware - that way you get the protection without everything stinking of naphthalene. Another point bearing in mind is that napthalene can cause serious allergic reactions if it comes into contact with your skin. Your biggest risk is from roadkill and picking up the odd feather. I normally keep that kind of stuff seperate.
    “Apparently people don't like the truth, but I do like it; I like it because it upsets a lot of people. If you show them enough times that their arguments are bullshit, then maybe just once, one of them will say, 'Oh! Wait a minute - I was wrong.' I live for that happening. Rare, I assure you” ― Lemmy Kilmister

Reap the Whirlwind - WM

Paradise = A 3wt Rod & a fist full of someone else's #32 parachutes

Um, I thought that feathers etc were for tying and not for storing?!? Sounds like you guys all have natural fiber museums at home...
    " Expecting the world to treat you fairly because you are good is like expecting the bull not to charge because you are a vegetarian." -Dennis Wholey

Dlampert

I read somewhere that you should put all roadkill or "wild" feathers in a ziplock bag and put it in the freezer for a week. That should take care of most nasties.

Cheers

Kevin

http://www.flytalk.co.za/forum/showthread.php?t=1383

Check all the feathers Wiets has there - even if he employed 15 midgets tying day and night it will keep them busy for a while.

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by Methos View Post
    Kevin

http://www.flytalk.co.za/forum/showthread.php?t=1383

Check all the feathers Wiets has there - even if he employed 15 midgets tying day and night it will keep them busy for a while.

Cheers
    ha ha ha- yeah I know... just taking the pis$... Must say that I have never had any problems with fishmoths etc... but then I do the same as Darryl and keep alles in tupperware boxes...
    " Expecting the world to treat you fairly because you are good is like expecting the bull not to charge because you are a vegetarian." -Dennis Wholey

Quote Originally Posted by Methos View Post
    Dlampert

I read somewhere that you should put all roadkill or "wild" feathers in a ziplock bag and put it in the freezer for a week. That should take care of most nasties.

Cheers
    Thanks Methos,

I do this with all the stuff I collect. I prefer freezing in a ziploc bag to "cooking" them in the microwave

Regards,
    Darryl
    “Apparently people don't like the truth, but I do like it; I like it because it upsets a lot of people. If you show them enough times that their arguments are bullshit, then maybe just once, one of them will say, 'Oh! Wait a minute - I was wrong.' I live for that happening. Rare, I assure you” ― Lemmy Kilmister

Reap the Whirlwind - WM

Paradise = A 3wt Rod & a fist full of someone else's #32 parachutes

Re the cooking thing in the Microwave - Won't that damage the feathers ?

Aren't feathers mostly made up of Protien ?

Cheers

They certainly taste better...freezing definitely takes a lot of moogies out of e.g 'roadkill' and I guess a gentle microwaving would get rid of the rest. Maybe we should ask Rick Stein, Floyd or Jamie Oliver for the ambient cooking temperature. Don't think we'll ask Jasper, he sounds, like me, he was also brought up in the Aga stove era!

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.