Thread: Female hiker drowned in Limietberg Reserve over the weekend

Stellenbosch and Kuils River, Western Cape

Default Female hiker drowned in Limietberg Reserve over the weekend

Anybody know anything about this?

Cant find anything online, where did you hear about it? Hectic stuff. . .
    Check out some of my FF pics - http://www.flickr.com/photos/30562135@N07/

Nope, also nothing in the papers. Your source?

It was reportedly published in one of the Stellenbosch University newspapers either Monday or Tuesday. I don't know where exactly it happened, but according to reports it happened in Du Toits Kloof. Apparently, while they were crossing the stream (don't know which one) she slipped and got washed away downstream. Don't know if she was a post-grad student. My colleague's wife works with Deon Rossouw, the Limietberg Reserve manager, he confirmed the drowning.

Just shows the danger of our rivers when the water comes down. Think safety first at all times on the water!

Quote Originally Posted by shector View Post
    It was reportedly published in one of the Stellenbosch University newspapers either Monday or Tuesday. I don't know where exactly it happened, but according to reports it happened in Du Toits Kloof. Apparently, while they were crossing the stream (don't know which one) she slipped and got washed away downstream. Don't know if she was a post-grad student. My colleague's wife works with Deon Rossouw, the Limietberg Reserve manager, he confirmed the drowning.
    Hey Stan,

The memorial service was this past weekend, my wife's sister actually attended.

Pretty horrific story, 3 of them had been hiking up in the Kromrivier. The river apparently was pretty high and they needed to cross, she went first and slipped as she attempted to get across. Her boyfriend grabbed her hand and tried to hold onto her but he couldn't and she was washed down river. At first they thought she would be okay and started to make their way down the river, hoping that she got washed down and managed to jump out onto one of the banks. But the further they walked the more stressed they became, eventually they came around a corner and found her floating in a pool, she had drowned. She must have bumped her head and drowned.

We often forget just how quickly these beautiful mountains can take a life, very sobering story!
    The closer one gets to realizing his destiny, the more that destiny becomes his true reason for being! Paulo Coelho

Ye ***s thats hectic. Heart breaking story.
    Check out some of my FF pics - http://www.flickr.com/photos/30562135@N07/

Horrific story...very sad.

Not good - not lekker :-(
    Mario Geldenhuys
    Smallstream fanatic, plus I do some other things that I can't tell you about

"All the tips or magical insights in the world can't replace devotion, dedication, commitment, and gumption - and there is not secret in that" - Glenn Brackett