Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Senior World Championships

Last edited by smallstreams.co.za; 15-09-16 at 01:41 PM.
    Mario Geldenhuys
    Smallstream fanatic, plus I do some other things that I can't tell you about

"All the tips or magical insights in the world can't replace devotion, dedication, commitment, and gumption - and there is not secret in that" - Glenn Brackett

For those that think that some other countries have HUGE sponsors etc for their teams, you are wrong.
    All our anglers gets some money from the Dep of Sport to participate, but all the other countries that I know off, it is the same.
    and for tackle sponsorships, very little.
    once you have all your rods, what are you going to do with another set and another set?
    The tackle brands might supply the rods and hooks at "trade price" for the national team or sponsor a couple of 100 hooks.
    there are no "FULL TIME FLY FISHERS" that gets paid to compete.
    Every one that I know have a full time job, just like SA anglers. Some might have a bit more free time or have closer to travel to get to rivers. but they pretty much in the same boat as our anglers.
    Korrie Broos

Don't go knocking on Death's door, ring the bell and run like hell. He hates it. (anon)
    Nymphing, adds depth to your fly fishing.
    Nymphing, is fly fishing in another dimension

Quote Originally Posted by Korrie View Post
    For those that think that some other countries have HUGE sponsors etc for their teams, you are wrong.
    All our anglers gets some money from the Dep of Sport to participate, but all the other countries that I know off, it is the same.
    and for tackle sponsorships, very little.
    once you have all your rods, what are you going to do with another set and another set?
    The tackle brands might supply the rods and hooks at "trade price" for the national team or sponsor a couple of 100 hooks.
    there are no "FULL TIME FLY FISHERS" that gets paid to compete.
    Every one that I know have a full time job, just like SA anglers. Some might have a bit more free time or have closer to travel to get to rivers. but they pretty much in the same boat as our anglers.
    It's a low-key sport, like many others. They are under the radar and will therefore never get major sponsorship, not even much from SASCOC/Govt/Lotto.
    Mario Geldenhuys

"All the tips or magical insights in the world can't replace devotion, dedication, commitment, and gumption - and there is not secret in that" - Glenn Brackett

SA 10th after the session 2.
    Korrie Broos

Don't go knocking on Death's door, ring the bell and run like hell. He hates it. (anon)

Quote Originally Posted by smallstreams.co.za View Post
    It's a low-key sport, like many others. They are under the radar and will therefore never get major sponsorship, not even much from SASCOC/Govt/Lotto.
    They do get some funding form above mentioned institutions.
    Korrie Broos

I doubt that there is any sport except our Rugby, cricket and soccer, for the national teams, where it is completely funded by respective organisations.
    Korrie Broos

When we went to Italy for the world fishing champs (match fishing) in 2000, gov showed up at the airport before we departed with a "sponsor" of something like R70. Why they even bothered I have no idea. Great story material though.

Correction. We each received R25....
    Last edited by BenzoV; 15-09-16 at 05:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by korrie View Post
    they do get some funding form above mentioned institutions.
    Quote Originally Posted by smallstreams.co.za View Post
    it's a low-key sport, like many others. They are under the radar and will therefore never get major sponsorship, not even much from sascoc/govt/lotto.
    major .....
    Mario Geldenhuys

Sunette Viljoen wag steeds vir haar R70 000. lol

If you follow the right procedures and apply to DCAS, there are funds available.
    The sport federation has to be in good standing with DCAS as well.
    Yes, lots of red tape etc but there are funds.
    The Boland and WP fly fishing unions are very well run, paper work up to date with DCAS and in good standing, etc. etc etc.
    If you do all of above there are funds available.

I have seen other sports unions that complain about the funds and you ask them about the various red tape stuff and all you get is a blank expression.
    "they did not know about this and that......"
    That is at least in the Cape,
    Korrie Broos

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast