Thread: Kob! - what flies patterns work best

Default Kob! - what flies patterns work best

Hi all

I live in a town called Mtunzini, kzn, and we have the Umlalazi river estuary, ive recently started fly fishing with some success so far with kingeys and rock salmon, but wanting to target the Kob this season, and just wanna know if anybody can help out with good patterns to use for them??

Thanks!

Hi Zane,

I believe the biggest challenge when fishing for kob is to find the fish and then to show the fish a fly. Under these conditions kob will take many different fly patterns.

Proven patterns:

- Clousers in chartreuse over white.
    - Sponge Bob - Olive, Black, Natural/Tan/Olive
    - Woolheads - Natural/Olive/Orange - Yellow - Red
    - Sculpen Heads - Same as above
    - Whistler patterns - Same as above

I know Doug Swannel caught a 36kg fish in the Swartkops years back on a Crazy Charlie, but if a kob sees a fly and is feeding I believe the fish will take many different patterns, challenge is to find them and show the fish the fly.

Also use more natural colours in clear water, with the inclusion of chartreuse over white and more "odd" colours - orange/red/yellow when the water has colour to it.

Quote Originally Posted by Winelands Fly Fishing View Post
    Also use more natural colours in clear water, with the inclusion of chartreuse over white and more "odd" colours - orange/red/yellow when the water has colour to it.
    So where can I find these feeding Kob? Speaking about Breede mouth that is. I struggle to get the fly down to fish with the strong current etc . . .
    Check out some of my FF pics - http://www.flickr.com/photos/30562135@N07/

Hi Jade,

I don't think the Breede mouth is the right place most of the time for kob on fly - they are there I know, hence spots like Kabeljou bank. But these fish are passing through and don't take up feeding/prolonged stations, just because of the variance in water temperature at this spot is open to the sea, basically part of the sea. Low light conditions - when the sun dips, till dark and at first light are probably your best window here.

You will know when they are around, mullet will be huddled/stressed, it is just one of those things, you will know there are some predators close by.

As the river flows/further inland when you start getting mud and rock, this is where the kob will station and spend most of their time in the river, basically from Kontiki and the Oysters beds on the Witsand side - inland. Uptill this point it is sand and open ocean for most part. Looking at the lie of the land, the river (main channel) switches sides from the Witsand towards Infanta and then past Grunter Bay back towards to Witsand side - Goudmyn and Karools, then straightens out towards the bend upriver where it switches again.

For most part, I believe the bigger fish/most fish station in this part (and up) in the river. Many kob are caught from Kontiki, past Mudlark to the wooden jetty past grunter bay.

I have caught kob mainly on a Di5 and intermediate, but in certain spots I will definitely suggest a a fast sinking head section, Di7 with intermediate or floating running line.

In my experience a white clouser with pink flash sparcly tied on a no2 hook did the damage on a very slow retrieveIMG-20131227-WA001.jpg

This Phil, really interesting. I have noticed the mullet at the breede being all skittish, just never thought about were to through a fly. I suppose the good answer is anywhere in the water . . .
    Check out some of my FF pics - http://www.flickr.com/photos/30562135@N07/