Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast

Thread: Bow fishing

Do not confuse the subjects.

I am a hunter with rifle and bow.
    I am an angler many facets.

I shoot and kill what i need to eat.

Fishing is a sport where the most joy is to release the fish to fight another day

Use the bow for animals and birds where its legal to do so.

Take a long rod and hunt the trout the same way you do with the bow and fool it with a fly then you have completed the full circle. P

You wil destroy arrows in the small streams, you will not be making any friends on the beats with the bow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Gerhard Delport

We lose ourselves in the things we love.
    We also find ourselves there... Too

Quote Originally Posted by Bowhunter View Post
    Hi is there any person who would like trade? Take me with you on the river and next time i go bowfishing i will take you along Promise it will not be for trout when you come with

Sent from my GT-I9500 using Tapatalk
    Ya, I will. Im keen to see how this works.
    Disclaimer.... none of my posts are intended to be "expert advice"..just opinions from someone who is willing to help where he can.

Gerhard. I have mounted an old coffee grinder with braid on the outside of my leahter arm gaurd. The braid then runs on the outside of my arm and the bow to the back of the arrow. Notmally people shoot with arrow on inside of bow but i prefer open side. As for the bows and water i do not dunk it in water and i treat the artows with linseed oil. As the bows are handmade i do not know how many pounds. If people catch sm for the pot it is not a problem but i shoot one and you get your knickers in a knot after you ask me some questions and i answered. Plus i did not know you are not allowed to bowfish local species when i did that. When i learnt that you can bowfish alien invasive species i read about trout bass and carp. For me it made sense to do it in the cape as i live here and googĺe showed trout in the cape. But as i said i will put it on my bucket list and one day i will get a trout on the arrow. It might not be on the cape rivers. In the mean time i will learn how to flyfish properly and test my skills this way as you said. You must remember i am a newcomer and are.learning the ropes

Hi Andre thanks for your offer. I am not sure we should do it on the cape rivers. And from what i see the seasons are closed for the cape. When the season opens lets go to the breede river. Apparently there are lovely carp that some of the bow guys shoot from little inflatable boats and every now and again they get a big bass. They give the fish to people in need and the farmers are happy for them to take the aliens out

spent the last 2 hours this morning going thru hunting forums and very little is on bowfishing, however on one of the hunting forum is mentioned one should obtain the relevant permit. Bowhunter please post this permit or previous permit here so that i read if it is legit because i could only find legislation on bowhunting pertaining to bow poundage to animal size and alien (but have no clue what alien means in this case, could be an afgan goat or the neighbours poodle). and if possible, from yourself or your mates on the other forum to post the gazetted/law info on bowfishing in the S.A, thanks in advance.

Quote Originally Posted by dollar View Post
    spent the last 2 hours this morning going thru hunting forums and very little is on bowfishing, however on one of the hunting forum is mentioned one should obtain the relevant permit. Bowhunter please post this permit or previous permit here so that i read if it is legit because i could only find legislation on bowhunting pertaining to bow poundage to animal size and alien (but have no clue what alien means in this case, could be an afgan goat or the neighbours poodle). and if possible, from yourself or your mates on the other forum to post the gazetted/law info on bowfishing in the S.A, thanks in advance.
    Do you know about the bowhunting expedition on Table Mountain recently, to get the last few remaining Tibetan Thars? apparently it was quite a blast, but had to be done under very much "cloak and dagger" conditions so as not to upset the bunny huggers.
    Disclaimer.... none of my posts are intended to be "expert advice"..just opinions from someone who is willing to help where he can.

no i did not hear Andre but did smell the braai, hmmmm

Gerhard. I have mounted an old coffee grinder with braid on the outside of my leahter arm gaurd. The braid then runs on the outside of my arm and the bow to the back of the arrow. Notmally people shoot with arrow on inside of bow but i prefer open side. As for the bows and water i do not dunk it in water and i treat the artows with linseed oil. As the bows are handmade i do not know how many pounds. If people catch sm for the pot it is not a problem but i shoot one and you get your knickers in a knot after you ask me some questions and i answered. Plus i did not know you are not allowed to bowfish local species when i did that. When i learnt that you can bowfish alien invasive species i read about trout bass and carp. For me it made sense to do it in the cape as i live here and googĺe showed trout in the cape. But as i said i will put it on my bucket list and one day i will get a trout on the arrow. It might not be on the cape rivers. In the mean time i will learn how to flyfish properly and test my skills this way as you said. You must remember i am a newcomer and are.learning the ropes

Are you a new comer to bowfishing or flyfishing?

If its flyfishing then by all means go ahead and ask questions and search on the forum there is a huge amount of info here on flyfishing.

I think by now you get the drift from the forum that you will not be welcomed in the Western Cape Streams with a bow to shoot at 300-500g size trout.

As far as I know there is a big carp population in the Western Cape why dont you go walk and stalk them. By the way they are an excellent target for the fly rod.

Also stop the mentality of if others do it so can I.

Its against the law to bowfish indigenous fish species.

If you want something for the pot go hunt a big fat carp.

Good luck...
    Gerhard Delport

I phned the nature conservation and they saìd i must come in and talk to a specfic guy about alien fish as he was out on field work. But in principle they do not have a problem with alien species eradication ie buck on table mountain feral pigs along berg and olifants river hakea trees etc. I will give feedback on this matter after i had the chat to nature conversation.

I phned the nature conservation and they saìd i must come in and talk to a specfic guy about alien fish as he was out on field work. But in principle they do not have a problem with alien species eradication ie buck on table mountain feral pigs along berg and olifants river hakea trees etc. I will give feedback on this matter after i had the chat to nature conversation.

Cool,

While you chat to them get the NatCon Act for WC to have everything on black and white and just not some guy's word for it.
    Gerhard Delport

Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast