Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast

Thread: Bow fishing

"spearing" - to me it means the act in using a spear. to me, a spear is a stick or a pole with at least one end sharpened or pointed. a spear can be poked or thrown by yourself and also can be launched by use of an instrument. this instrument has various components to launch a spear like springs, elastic bands, gunpowder or even a string. these components have to be in tension or compression.
    why some people read the word "spearing" think of a diver diving with a speargun i dont know why but if you take the time to google it you may be shocked to find out other meanings, check this one out but be warned, its very explicit - http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Spearing

Definitely one of the most interesting threads on FT for awhile - which is sad really... Anyhoo I think aspirant trout bowhunters in DTK will find that 'broken arrow' will best describe their experience. Smashing heads and arrow shafts into rocks covered by only a little water will soon get old and push the cost-benefit analysis the wrong way. Bowfishing, when done , is done over soft bottoms....

Allsorts and dollar i can relate.to your posts. Spearing or arrowing in some soft bottoms do sound a lot more appealing than smashing it on rocks

Sent from my GT-I9500 using Tapatalk

But i will give some feed.back after my meeting tomorrow. I want to get clarity on indigenous fish and alien invasive species and what is allowed and what not on the various species

I went and had a meeting. The person i wanted to see was not in but another helped me and they said that i should not try it in nature conservaton areas. But they do not have to much problems with alien invasive species as targets. I thought that i might do a little.vidoe clip where i do bowfishing for alien invasive species. I have never seen.video clips of bowfishing in the cape mountain rivers. Now to find an area where i can find the fish that is not in a nature reserve. Apparently the rivers will be too high for the next month or 3 but after that i will definitly do some bowfishing for alien invasive species

Quote Originally Posted by Bowhunter View Post
    I went and had a meeting. The person i wanted to see was not in but another helped me and they said that i should not try it in nature conservaton areas. But they do not have to much problems with alien invasive species as targets. I thought that i might do a little.vidoe clip where i do bowfishing for alien invasive species. I have never seen.video clips of bowfishing in the cape mountain rivers. Now to find an area where i can find the fish that is not in a nature reserve. Apparently the rivers will be too high for the next month or 3 but after that i will definitly do some bowfishing for alien invasive species

Hehehehehe, another 3 months of stirring
    Mario Geldenhuys
    Smallstream fanatic, plus I do some other things that I can't tell you about

"All the tips or magical insights in the world can't replace devotion, dedication, commitment, and gumption - and there is not secret in that" - Glenn Brackett

Quote Originally Posted by Bowhunter View Post

is that it, maybe you should of rescheduled the meeting and take your tools with, bow & vicus

Quote Originally Posted by dollar View Post
    is that it, maybe you should of rescheduled the meeting and take your tools with, bow & vicus
    Haha, never said I like to bow-fish myself.

I just cannot see how a bow fisherman can do much harm on a cape trout stream. He will be trying to hit fish which for the most part are not much bigger than your hand. If the water is clear, they will see him before he sees them. If the water is not clear he will have a few glimpses of fish for a few seconds, no more. If he is very good he will have a second or two to hit small moving targets, while taking into account the effects of light refraction. His arrows will be damaged when they hit the rocks and stones. If he manages to get one or two fish, I would say well done and good luck to him. A resident cormorant will be killing way more fish.

A good flyfisher will out-fish him by far 9 times out of 10, and effectively probably kill more fish, through released fish eventually dying due to injury and stress. So he is really welcome to the 2 fish he will kill in 10 outings. (I am exaggerating a bit, but I think you get the point.)

Should he go to dams, which have carp, they will be sitting ducks. He could probably have a high success rate. Personally, while I regard carp as a target species for fly fishing which I might enjoy, I do not care much for carp, as a species, as they are actually a pest, and will never be in danger of any sort of extinction. The only people I can think of who might take exception to him killing carp, are the specimen carp fishermen. But on the bigger dams, I doubt even that will be much of an issue.
    Last edited by Vicus; 24-06-16 at 12:41 PM.

vicus, your first post here was consensual and your second post was something like ......(well, ask bow hunter how he feels after feeling a sharp the point from his pal). i think you under estimate the bowhunter's ability to shot a small trout. we already know he is willing to launch arrows into skinny water with rocks. can arrows be repaired or sharperned after encountering a rock. maybe he uses dowel sticks and easily sharperned with a knife on site, does a bowhunter carry one or hundred arrows. i'm no bow hunter but confident they have tricks up their sleeves for the conditions they hunt in.
    you already stated the problem trout have with nets, cormorants and c&r but adding a bowhunter is just adding to the trouts problem. you've only fished that fishery once or twice so it doesnt affect you as much as it does those that fish it often. also, its unlawfull with a bow but what stands out to me is morals and respects to a tradition that started 130 or so years ago and it's ongoing efforts to keep it established and giving you the pleasure to say "i've fished a couple of times".

first post here was consensual

You probably know me well enough te realize by now, that I am not particularly concerned whether my posts are consensual or not. I do nor easily get onto any kind of band-wagon. Logic, facts, sensibility, and being just generally reasonable, are valuable things in my mind. I do not always succeed in sticking to these values, but I try.

i think you under estimate the bowhunter's ability to shot a small trout.
    they have tricks up their sleeves for the conditions they hunt in.
    This is possible, I guess. But I would be surprised. Trout in cape streams are small and wary. I am open to being convinced, though. Until someone present evidence to the contrary, I will keep an open mind.

morals
    The moral aspect goes hand in hand with how much skill is required. If it is like shooting fish in a barrel, then it is obviously not on. If is is as hard as I suspect, I see no moral issue.

also, its unlawfull with a bow
    This is still being debated here and is by no means certain. It is also something that may change as time passes.

tradition that started 130 or so years ago
    Your most valid point. Certainly worth keeping in mind.

What does emerge from our discussion, is that it may be worth it to find out exactly how much skill would be required to hunt the more elusive species that we care about, like Trout and Yellowfish, with a bow.

All the above said, I don't really imagine that we will see dozens on bow fishermen stalking our beloved fish any time soon. It will be a few individuals at most. We will hardly notice their presence/impact. I think this thread has more amusement than practical value, as has been suggested by others.
    Last edited by Vicus; 24-06-16 at 05:27 PM.

Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast