Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast

Thread: Bow fishing

Bowhunter, I might need your help. Every morning just about 08:00 my neighbours keffertjie of a puffy Maltese Poodle takes a dump on my lawn. Can I please borrow your bow because I think a debarbed arrow dipped in Retonone stuck up the things arse might make the problem disappear.

Hiehiehie.
    just make sure nobody takes a photo with their cellphone and posts it on FB.
    Korrie Broos

Don't go knocking on Death's door, ring the bell and run like hell. He hates it. (anon)
    Nymphing, adds depth to your fly fishing.
    Nymphing, is fly fishing in another dimension

Poedelsosatie!

On the bowhuntingforum there is a complete section dedicated to bowfishing with a lot of sub topics. There a number of bow hunters that do bow fishing as well

Sent from my GT-I9500 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Bowhunter View Post
    Hi is there any person who would like trade? Take me with you on the river and next time i go bowfishing i will take you along Promise it will not be for trout when you come with

Hi
    When the rivers open in the new season, I will take you for day's fishing on the Cape Streams, then we can chat about joining you on a bow hunt. We can skip the bow fishing part.
    Korrie Broos

Don't go knocking on Death's door, ring the bell and run like hell. He hates it. (anon)
    Nymphing, adds depth to your fly fishing.
    Nymphing, is fly fishing in another dimension

this was my email to Etienne
    "Hi Ettienne
    I’m a keen fly fisher and discuss many fly fishing relating stories on a forum. Recently a gentleman ask us if it was ok to bow and arrow trout in the cape streams. To my knowledge no spearing of freshwater fish is allowed but would bow and arrow be perceived as spearing? Or is there a law against bow hunting of trout?
    Your help will be greatly appreciated"
    Etienne response
    "I’m not too sure myself…very difficult in cape town to do anything…
    I’ve tried getting info on this to no avail…

I’ll see if I can find anything now and get back to you….

Hide-out
    Bow & Hunting Shop
    Etienne"

looking at Etienne's site, it really looks professional and has all the additional gadgets to fit onto a bow for fish hunting, hopefully he will add further

Quote Originally Posted by Bowhunter View Post
    On the bowhuntingforum there is a complete section dedicated to bowfishing with a lot of sub topics. There a number of bow hunters that do bow fishing as well

Bowhunter,

Tell me about your bow and bowfishing setup.

What arrows do you use?

What fish have you bow fished before and where?
    Gerhard Delport

We lose ourselves in the things we love.
    We also find ourselves there... Too

As mentoned i am a traditionalist and have 2 primitve bows that i made and busy with a archery bow for more serious hunting. The primitve bows i made with hickory and the other with yew. The archery bow is work in progress. I also want to make a bhutanese bamboo bow. They are serious stuff with the locals shooting up to 150 meters. I have made arrows with various woods oak hickory etx. I have made some arrows with besembos straight sectionsThe biggest problem with the arrows is keeping them straight with the variances in heat and humidity. If your arrow have the slightest wobble you can forget accuracy. I have done bowfishing in northern kzn for talapia barbel in some tribs of vaal. As i said i eat what i shoot and fish in rivers like vaal etc i think have to much pollution. I have also had the odd sm.

Gerhard. I do not want to post to much about the bowfishing as i see it has struck a raw nerve on the forum. If you are eating all that you take and take what you need within reason there should be no problem. Some people do jot understand hunting but i hunt.with my bow small antelope and birds. All for the pot. I thought the feathers of birds will be great when i get into flytying. Sort of complete circle. Shhòt bird and buck make flies with bird and buck and shoot or bow hunt fish and catch fish with feathers from birds and hair from buck

Boet,

Where do you attach the reel on a traditional bow?
    How do you get your arrows to a 1000gr for bowfishing?

How does the wooden bows react with all the water while bow fishing?

What pound bows are these?

Its illegal to bowfish for indigenous fish species and you have just confirmed on a public forum you have done so.

My suggestion is go and discuss bowfishing at the Bowhunter forum. Yes I use to be a moderator at that forum.

If you want to discuss flyfishing you are more than welcome...

But stiring wanting to bowhunt trout in the Cape streams will not win you any friends here.

Rather go join the guys with a long rod and test your hunting skills this way.

My 2c

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Gerhard Delport

We lose ourselves in the things we love.
    We also find ourselves there... Too

Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast