Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Boat rules during competition fishing

Quote Originally Posted by dollar View Post
    aaahhhhh drift boating. south africans drift boat? why use a drogue when a paddler is present.
    Basically, it is because the boat drifts with the wind, and with both anglers fishing towards the same direction, off the same side of the boat, the drogue serves the purpose of slowing the drift, and keeping the boat perpendicular to the direction of the wind. Competition drift boat fishing is done on still waters and the boat is not paddled while the people are fishing.
    T other thing is that the rules state that fishing cannot commence unless the drogue is in the water, wind or no wind. Bear in mind that in totally windless conditions, drift boat fishing becomes difficult for a variety of reasons.
    Last edited by Andre; 08-06-16 at 12:38 PM.
    Disclaimer.... none of my posts are intended to be "expert advice"..just opinions from someone who is willing to help where he can.

thanks for explaining Andre, seems to me the competitors have a tuff time in unfavourable conditions, (either too much wind or nothing at all)

Thanks Andre for clarifying, it make sense.
    Now casting over openents line line to me is on.
    If he is not retrieving is sink line, I will cast my float or slow sinker over his line and there should be no issue. If I am casting a sink line I will be forced to cast in the limit corner portion of my 90 degrees otherwise we both end up with a tangle to boths disadvantage. As long as the rods do not cross a strike can still be carried out?

Am I aloud to use my oar to swing the boat back to open up my 90 deg fishing zone, or must I adjust the droage to do the direction change?
    Just one more cast.......... make it count ...........

Remember you can move the drogue as well to sit 45 degree in the wind etc and get a slightly angled drift etc
    Korrie Broos

Don't go knocking on Death's door, ring the bell and run like hell. He hates it. (anon)
    Nymphing, adds depth to your fly fishing.
    Nymphing, is fly fishing in another dimension

Quote Originally Posted by Glans View Post
    Thanks Andre for clarifying, it make sense.
    Now casting over openents line line to me is on.
    If he is not retrieving is sink line, I will cast my float or slow sinker over his line and there should be no issue. If I am casting a sink line I will be forced to cast in the limit corner portion of my 90 degrees otherwise we both end up with a tangle to boths disadvantage. As long as the rods do not cross a strike can still be carried out?

Am I aloud to use my oar to swing the boat back to open up my 90 deg fishing zone, or must I adjust the droage to do the direction change?
    Interesting questions. Your area to cast to is not allowed to encroach on your boat partners. If the boat swings while your lines are in the water , well then that's what happens, but you aren't allowed to intentionally cast over his area. No you are not allowed to put an oar in the water, unless both rods are "up", in other words, only if there are no flies in the water, may an oar be used. Simple rule, its oars or rods in the water, never both. . If a fish takes your fly while the oar or paddle is in the water, the fish doesn't count. Another rule, is that the drogue must be in the water and deployed before casting. If the boat swings 90 degrees or more while you are retrieving, to the point where the flies are outside of the 90 degrees, any fish that takes the fly doesn't count.
    remember that there are many ways of making things difficult for your boat partner , so etiquette is recommended. ..
    Disclaimer.... none of my posts are intended to be "expert advice"..just opinions from someone who is willing to help where he can.

can two drogues be used at the same time and can one have various size drogues to suit conditions

One drogue only
    Guys wanted to be clever at one stage with multiple drogues, in various sizes.
    The hassle is not worth it.
    Korrie Broos

Don't go knocking on Death's door, ring the bell and run like hell. He hates it. (anon)
    Nymphing, adds depth to your fly fishing.
    Nymphing, is fly fishing in another dimension

Quote Originally Posted by dollar View Post
    can two drogues be used at the same time and can one have various size drogues to suit conditions
    Only one drogue at a time, you wouldn't want to use two, I cant imagine the hassle trying to untangle twisted drogues during a competition session, but you can change drogues to suit conditions if you think you need to. It is very seldom, if ever that a drogue needs to be changed during a session, i have never heard of it being done. I have a set of three drogues, and only ever used one, in all conditions, from light wind to gale force. you only really need one good drogue.
    There are two key factors in effective drogue use, the length of the attachment rope or ropes, their positioning , and the correct ballast weight on the drogue to get it to settle at a depth.
    Last edited by Andre; 09-06-16 at 02:15 PM.

Thanks Andre
    That explains it clearly. This I have not seen in any rules yet.
    Perhaps you can provide a file from some rule book or rules that confirm what you explained.
    This could then be easier available for all our local competition guys.
    Thanks again

Jannie
    Just one more cast.......... make it count ...........

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2