Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Breede river long long weekend

Default Breede river long long weekend

Howsit guys.
    Going to be staying with friends at the breede on the infanta side next weekend.
    Im originally a Eastern Caper and this is my first chance to visit this river.
    Wife has already warned me this isn't a FF weekend so time will be a bit limited .

I have checked out google earth and there seems to be a nice sand bank with deep drop offs at the mouth side which I presume would be quite good for leeries on a dropping tide.
    Can anyone maybe help me out with a spot with decent mudflats on infanta side where I could maybe try for some grunter? It seems there is a nice little bay up from mudlark but im not sure how productive this area is.

Normally would do some exploring but time is a little limited.

Quote Originally Posted by occie View Post
    Howsit guys.
    Going to be staying with friends at the breede on the infanta side next weekend.
    Im originally a Eastern Caper and this is my first chance to visit this river.
    Wife has already warned me this isn't a FF weekend so time will be a bit limited .

I have checked out google earth and there seems to be a nice sand bank with deep drop offs at the mouth side which I presume would be quite good for leeries on a dropping tide.
    Can anyone maybe help me out with a spot with decent mudflats on infanta side where I could maybe try for some grunter? It seems there is a nice little bay up from mudlark but im not sure how productive this area is.

Normally would do some exploring but time is a little limited.
    Dont feel to bad about not having enough time to fish. At this time of year the water is cold and the fish are few, so rather score some points with the missus, and come back when conditions will be more favourable. If she says it isn't a fly fishing weekend, then it isn't a fly fishing weekend. Smile and say, "yes dear"... otherwise if you do go fishing and catch nothing....... you work it out...:biggrin:
    Disclaimer.... none of my posts are intended to be "expert advice"..just opinions from someone who is willing to help where he can.

It is also a matter of tides.
    High or low tides etc.
    Take a couple of hours and fish, then keep the missus happy.
    I had good success on pushing tide and dropping tide next to the sand banks.
    As the bait fish is washed off the sandbanks into the channel the Leeries smash them.
    But remember the leeries moves with the tide, up or down.
    I know of some massive leeries that where caught in the deep water,
    As for the grunters, you will have to ask some of the other guys.

And remember there are a couple of very big Zambesi's trolling up and down.
    Korrie Broos

Don't go knocking on Death's door, ring the bell and run like hell. He hates it. (anon)
    Nymphing, adds depth to your fly fishing.
    Nymphing, is fly fishing in another dimension

Thanks guys.
    Yes didn't expect the river to be very active now but need some relaxing time so will have to make a mission. Wife doesn't normally mind to much as long as its not the whole day. She will be drinking wine with her friends so should be relaxed

Haha yes wouldn't want this ones cousin taking revenge on me.

If fly fishing is off the cards, then just take a prawn pump LOL

This time of year is coming up to steenbras time and I have heard of some coming out on fly. give them a try

Welcome to the Hotel California!

"Relax, " said the night man,
    "We are programmed to receive.
    You can check-out any time you like,
    But you can never leave! "

Be on the sand bar on the pushing tide in good time.
    Organise a diversion for the others while you get two hours therapy
    Charles Thomas

"If fly fishing is off the cards, then just take a prawn pump LOL"

That's actually good advice. This time of year is Steenbras and Galjoen season.

So, take some Rock n surf tackle. 2.2Km after leaving Infanta town, there's a turning to you right which will take you down to the sand flats. pump some prawns, then make an excuse to go back to Malgas, cross by the pont and go to Witsand. there are miles of very productive beach and rock shelf there.

I really wouldn't waste my time trying for leeries - it's too cold. Not sure about Grunter in Winter down here. Breede is pretty much the southern limit of their distibution, so it's probably also too cold.

Wil101 knows Breede very well. Take his advice.

That's not to say there are no leeries around, just they will be few and probably not in the mood for chasing down flies. Steenbras in the river on prawn is probably your best bet.

Quote Originally Posted by CTHOMAS View Post
    Welcome to the Hotel California!

"Relax, " said the night man,
    "We are programmed to receive.
    You can check-out any time you like,
    But you can never leave! "

Be on the sand bar on the pushing tide in good time.
    Organise a diversion for the others while you get two hours therapy
    Thanks for the replies guys.
    Haha that's the plan.
    I suppose the bigger leeries have moved up the coast but maybe there will be some smaller ones around.
    Can you target steenbras on floating prawns or only JAM flies?
    Sorry for all the questions but is this time of year not a good time for cob in the breede?
    Always better catching fish but don't mind blanking, always good just to cast a line.

Quote Originally Posted by occie View Post
    Thanks for the replies guys.
    Haha that's the plan.
    I suppose the bigger leeries have moved up the coast but maybe there will be some smaller ones around.
    Can you target steenbras on floating prawns or only JAM flies?
    Sorry for all the questions but is this time of year not a good time for cob in the breede?
    Always better catching fish but don't mind blanking, always good just to cast a line.
    I would go for Galjoen around the point if you are on the infanta side, on bait though. I feel flyfishing for small reef fish in gullies with salty buggers is an unexplored treasure trove waiting to be found at Infanta.
    Check out some of my FF pics - http://www.flickr.com/photos/30562135@N07/

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast