Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Sage X

all the CZ comp anglers have changed their guides to single foot.
    They found that they had less of a "wobbly" and quicker recovery times on the rod.
    Korrie Broos

Don't go knocking on Death's door, ring the bell and run like hell. He hates it. (anon)
    Nymphing, adds depth to your fly fishing.
    Nymphing, is fly fishing in another dimension

Stellenbosch and Kuils River, Western Cape

Cool, I'll pick it up when I go for my first outing of the new season

Quote Originally Posted by Andre View Post
    Im happy to lend you my 2wt. do you have one of those long leaders. the only way to really test a ESN is with the 30 or 40 foot French leader, or the Euro nymphing line.
    Waiting for Korrie to send me the leader formulae

Cool man, I will let you know when I am down for the weekend and lets grab a day out. I havent seen you in like 3 - 4 years bud.
    Check out some of my FF pics - http://www.flickr.com/photos/30562135@N07/

Quote Originally Posted by Korrie View Post
    all the CZ comp anglers have changed their guides to single foot.
    They found that they had less of a "wobbly" and quicker recovery times on the rod.
    I had a horrible experience with single footers where they reverberated while casting. It was on a custom built z-axis. I changed it to snakes and it was perfect. So Im not fond of them, though it probably were just those specific ones.
    Tiaan

Fly Fishing Addict

Quote Originally Posted by yella View Post
    I had a horrible experience with single footers where they reverberated while casting. It was on a custom built z-axis. I changed it to snakes and it was perfect. So Im not fond of them, though it probably were just those specific ones.
    Yes, but remember that wae are referring to the Sage ESN and the Czech team. They arent using the rod for the kind of casts you would be doing with a Z-axis. Jiri Pejcar showed me why they make the changes to the guides and guide spacing, and it is done with the euro nymphing leader and method of casting in mind. Also its only the stripping guides that they change.
    Disclaimer.... none of my posts are intended to be "expert advice"..just opinions from someone who is willing to help where he can.

Quote Originally Posted by Andre View Post
    Yes, but remember that wae are referring to the Sage ESN and the Czech team. They arent using the rod for the kind of casts you would be doing with a Z-axis. Jiri Pejcar showed me why they make the changes to the guides and guide spacing, and it is done with the euro nymphing leader and method of casting in mind. Also its only the stripping guides that they change.
    Ja for a distance casting rod, single foot strippers are not ideal in my limited experience. The line tends to wrap around the foot on the final shoot, especially with sinking lines for some reason (thinner?). May just be the fact that I suck at casting though, but that has been my experience with my 10ft 6 weight.

Andre/Korrie is there somewhere we can read up on the guide changes? Or can you elaborate on what they do with the spacing and what the theory is?

Quote Originally Posted by BenzoV View Post
    Ja for a distance casting rod, single foot strippers are not ideal in my limited experience. The line tends to wrap around the foot on the final shoot, especially with sinking lines for some reason (thinner?). May just be the fact that I suck at casting though, but that has been my experience with my 10ft 6 weight.

Andre/Korrie is there somewhere we can read up on the guide changes? Or can you elaborate on what they do with the spacing and what the theory is?
    I dont thinkl that there is anything written down about this. Its very specific around how the rod ids used by the czech team. the differences are so marginal that even the above average fly fisher wont realise it. i for one hadnt given it even a minor thought , until Jiri pointed it out to me. it has to do with how the line slaps the rod at the lower section, when the leader is given a very quick flick cast as is dome when casting the French leader.
    They apparently re space the stripping guides, and include an additional one closer to the rod handle, and the reason why they use single foot stripping guides, is because it is easier to bend, they bend it forward about 20 degrees, so the combination of the extra stripping guide, and the forward bend of the guide, helps keep the line (leader) straighter in the section closest to the handle, for that split second that those two or three meters run from the the section between the reel and the first stripping guide. Most of us would steady this section of line, with our finger around it, but the Czechs apparently have no finger contact with the line in the cast.
    Perhaps Korrie can add something here, as it is very difficult to explain, but once it has been demonstrated, you can see that they have a point. It really make so little difference, but Jiri seemed to indicate that it was worth it for them to re configure their rods.
    Disclaimer.... none of my posts are intended to be "expert advice"..just opinions from someone who is willing to help where he can.

Quote Originally Posted by JadeDsantos View Post
    Cool man, I will let you know when I am down for the weekend and lets grab a day out. I havent seen you in like 3 - 4 years bud.
    Eish, ja. its long overdue...

SAGE -ITS A CULT THING......Time for a new rod "SAGE X 5WT 10FT" ..... custom build , I've enjoyed my 6 WT 10' TCX but gets heavy when fishing solid 2 days on the Vaal. I wonder how the infinity will compare with the x - in 5wt.....(big savings in price)

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast