Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Sage X

Default Sage X

I see that the new sage X has been launched. Going to be interesting to try this rod. A thin diameter, fast action rod with a soft tip that loads lower down the rod towards the grip, designed for "off the water casting", with no false casts. sounds good.
    Disclaimer.... none of my posts are intended to be "expert advice"..just opinions from someone who is willing to help where he can.

"a soft tip that loads lower down the rod towards the grip"

Sounds a lot like the older sage rods.....

I dont like the super fast stiff rods that sage has been coming up with as flagships the last few years. The slightly slower rods from they're mid range offerings suit my casting and fishing much better - I wonder if thats the feedback from many of the fly fishers.
    Tiaan

Fly Fishing Addict

Awesome they can be matched with a Stealth X reel.

sounds like a hardy jet

Quote Originally Posted by yella View Post
    "a soft tip that loads lower down the rod towards the grip"

Sounds a lot like the older sage rods.....

I dont like the super fast stiff rods that sage has been coming up with as flagships the last few years. The slightly slower rods from they're mid range offerings suit my casting and fishing much better - I wonder if thats the feedback from many of the fly fishers.
    I have to dissagree with respect, to me it sounds like Sages new generation of nymping suitable rods. Not sure which flagship rods you are referring to that are super super fast and stiff.
    This rod sounds a bit like the Sage 99 or the ESN, but without trying it out, I cant say for sure. I do like the advantage of the very thin blank that that the new Sage technology seems to be taking advantage of. I do think that any new rod from sage with a specific application in mind, is well worth looking at.
    Disclaimer.... none of my posts are intended to be "expert advice"..just opinions from someone who is willing to help where he can.

This short description exactly describes Epic Fast Glass Rods :biggrin:
    There is no such a rod defined as a soft in carbon rod terms (and the fastest glass made ever in glass terms) , deep progressive loading but recovery as fast as most of carbon sticks . (come and check my 2 inch wide loops if you want)
    Who ever done just one cast with those little casting machines, will know what I am talking about.
    And it looks like a Carl McNeil shaken the fly rods market much more seriously than carbon competitors can take , so the answer is coming first from Sage, who else?

It looks like a market already get sick of stiff , soulless rods which gave you the feeling of casting wet broomstick .
    (since they label actually #7 AFTMA rod as #5 )
    This is what Carl realized many years ago already ,when he decided to do the Epic design .

But, with 1 and 1/2 heavier size line, even under skilled caster will cast 15 meters , and that was a reason for big carbon rod companies to create those inhuman sticks .
    Market strategy based on average customer who will rather pay $$$$ for the rod, than few dollars to Fly Casting Instructor , or to try to learn casting by him self.
    All of that to reach that famous 15 meters without any basic fly casting skills and understanding of casting mechanics (typical american way of dealing with incompetent customers like that -give them what they want )

Watch now the competitors , everyone will create new rod which will be fast but soft tip , with soul and deep feeling (did you said Epic Carbon , yes there is Epic Carbon as well, with exactly the same description ? :wink

Jerry Siems is trying to reinvent the wheel ,since it is probably nothing else than famous XP with softer butt part , and some new fancy carbon material.
    That's why only "X" , "P" failed out .

Happy buying !

ps
    btw, 50 % of my rods are still Sage rods, I like them a lot as a part of my learning curve ....
    Last edited by Zoran; 23-06-16 at 04:27 PM.

shame Zoran give the "x" a chance, maybe it has to do with that recurring elbow problem.

Quote Originally Posted by dollar View Post
    shame Zoran give the "x" a chance, maybe it has to do with that recurring elbow problem.
    of course I will try it Dollar
    actually X is sounds very good , but little bit of teasing is not bad too ...

Very son Derek Smith will have some blanks , we will give it a try ....

Quote Originally Posted by Zoran View Post
    It looks like a market already get sick of stiff , soulless rods which gave you the feeling of casting wet broomstick .
    AMEN!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Zoran View Post
    Jerry Siems is trying to reinvent the wheel ,since it is probably nothing else than famous XP with softer butt part , and some new fancy carbon material.
    That's why only "X" , "P" failed out .
    The "X" signifies the 10th rod of their new Konnectic based range as I have it.
    Mario Geldenhuys
    Smallstream fanatic, plus I do some other things that I can't tell you about

"All the tips or magical insights in the world can't replace devotion, dedication, commitment, and gumption - and there is not secret in that" - Glenn Brackett

sweet Zoran, try it then decide if its worth the purchase. i did this very mistake with the hardy jet, not that i'm totally unhappy with the purcahse but the advert mis lead me. they said it was light, stronger and easily fished in small streams thru to big rivers. my findings were, it was light, fast with a soft tip. its performance was very good from close to medium distance only, it cast tight loops effortlessly, one could see the soft tip in action without trying to hard to get them tight loops. it lost accuracy and distance behond +- 15m, maybe because the rod felt too light in the hand or the feed back was like it possible snap in the lower section of the rod when pushed. this was evident when i tried to pull in fish (sm yellows) of just over a kilogram. spooky stuff, so it will remain in the collect for small streams gear.
    hopefully the new sage will behave well with "fast rod and soft tip"

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast