Thread: Ideas for developing a fly?

Default Ideas for developing a fly?

Just looking to get some tips perhaps for something I want to tie up for fishing the Okavango, targeting basically all species. The fly will mostly be used to pitch into pockets in vegetation, be weedless, bulky and have a reasonable sink rate. The guys throwing artificials have been having a lot of success with bass jigs - both for breams and tiger.

So far what I have in mind (using only the materials I already have available): 2/0 B10s hook with a dumbbell eye, black spun bucktail head to help it push some water, long black hackle tail. The weedguard probably just a piece of 80lb mono. maybe some flash.

Need to start tying so will bang something out tonight and put up a pic...

Does this sound like something that already exist and has a name?

Hi Willie,

I have been playing around with a similar version for tigers, will take some pics and post it here. A pattern to fish into structure.

Willie surely a suitably weighted ( or variety of weighted versions ) of Conrad Botes version of the Meat whistle would be a great option too? This fly can be fished fast or slow, has plenty movement on both the drop and pause, and plenty bulk to push water too... You might want to mix up the materials a bit to bring in more synthetics to handle the tigers and not chew through 1 fly/1 fish.... but reckon they would be deadly for the Breamfish, and in my opinion are the closest flies to current "Bass Style" jigs...

Also maybe look at some of the Sculpin heads and tie up something along similar lines to Jimmy Eagleton's "DMA"... they are great around structure too..
    *** TO RIDE, SHOOT STRAIGHT AND SPEAK THE TRUTH ***

Some people are like Slinkies.... Not really good for anything, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over. - Hunter S. Thompson

MMm ja thanks will check that out thanks Nepps! The thing I tied last night looked OK until I tried adding a spun head to it. The end result was not worthy of any amount of kilobytes of jpeg!

Willie check hierdie link uit... Materials probably not the best for tigers like I said, but the style of fly works well I think for what you're looking for... maybe add more synthetics and more rubber legs.. ..

http://feathersandfluoro.com/?p=11454#.V3UeTFJUIy4

Another idea for Tigers and Breemfeesh would be tying up something along the lines of a Bushwhacker ( https://umpqua.com/products/flies/ba...ds-bushwhacker )
    These are tied on a conventional bass worm hook, which are great tiger hooks as they are skinny and fokken sharp... You can gooi some heavy lead eyes if you need to on the "kink" at the front for weight to get them down quick, and then tie your regular baitfish style patterns or whatever onto the rest of the fly... the beauty of these things is their weedlessness-ness...ness.... Jy weet? Kiff to be able to bamba them into holes in the bank or cabbage along the banks without worrying too much cause you can crawl them out lekker...
    *** TO RIDE, SHOOT STRAIGHT AND SPEAK THE TRUTH ***

Some people are like Slinkies.... Not really good for anything, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over. - Hunter S. Thompson

Lekker man that was the 1st link I searched for! so I came up with this:

meatwCapture.JPG

bliksem those bushwackers look cool!