Thread: Essential gear for GT fishing from a boat

Default Essential gear for GT fishing from a boat

Hi guys

I am still very new to flyfishing for big saltwater fish like GT's. What would your opinion be as to which gear ( rods, reels and line ) are essential for GT fishing from a boat. Do you only use fast sinking lines on a 12wt rod or should you have a set-up with a floating line as well. To me it feels that the very heavily weighted flies are nearly impossible to cast. Should you be able to cast these or is it always just a matter of letting them sink as fast as possible and then strip them back as fast as possible. Some info on the "how to" flyfish for GT's from a boat would be truely appreciated.

Kind regards

Marius

Hi Marius

Where are you planning on fishing for them?

That will have a huge influence on the most appropriate tackle to get.

Cheers
    MC

Check this pappa! On GTPopping's page. https://www.facebook.com/gtpoppingcom/?pnref=story
    Gerrit Viljoen

Hi MC

I went to Nosy Be in May and caught plenty on spinning gear but I really struggled with the flyfishing. I took a 12wt outfit with very heavy fast sinking line as well as my 9wt outfit with both floating and sinking line. The problem was getting the fly to the GT's where they were actively feeding. Even with the spinning outfit we had to really put effort into the casts to reach them. The skipper although very good, had no experience with Flyfishing for GT's and I guess this played a huge role as far as positioning of the boat was concerned.

Hi Marius

We basically do two types of fishing for GT's.

The first is the typical Seychelles flats fishing where a 12wt with floating or intermediate lines are best. This is close range sight fishing to cruising fish.

The same outfit will be perfect where GT's are teased closer to the fly by throwing hookless plugs at them on spinning ouitfits. This is how they fish for them on the Nubian flats and often also at Farquhar. This is definitely not what I like to do but I suppose you sometimes don't have much of a choice..... This tactic will definitely work for you when fishing with spinning guys as long as you can convince them to take their hooks off for a while :-)

The second option is the deep water dredging over submerged reef structure. Ideally the structure should be between thirty five and forty metres down. The best tackle for this is a fourteen to fifteen weight with a Shilton SL7 and the Airflo 700gr Deepwater Dredger lines. This is a beast of a setup to cast for any period of time but I really enjoy the way the line goes tight on a fish. The same reel is perfect on a twelve weight for the flats fishing setup.

The trick with dredging is to use flies that sink faster than the line and to be able to cast at least twenty metres or so up current so that you drift onto the line. As the line sinks and you drift onto it you actually slowly take in line until you are on top of a vertical line. Only now do you feed line into the sink...... It goes down like a brick and you'll be surprised to get stuck in forty metres of water. Flies are easy enough...... Mega Clousers with over-sized lead dumbells. You'll have to do some searching for him but there is a guy in Cape Town who can make these for you - Mark Stotesbury. If you contact him you'll also be able to get some custom jigs and plugs from him :-)

What more can I tell you.....

We've found the best strip to be very fast and long one handed strips..... Keep some contact on the drop as Couta like the sinking fly.... fish a level forty pound fluoro leader with an eight inch section of 40 to 50lbs single strand wire.... Big flies are not always the best.... Tie the Mega Clousers in 4/0 and 6/0..... Chartreuse, Tan and Purple are the best colours but pink is always an option for Madagascar.

Enjoy the hard work.....

Cheers
    MC

Hi MC.

I could not have asked for better info! Thanks a lot MC! This will definitely help in the pursuit of these incredible beasts! The initial take from them are such an addiction.

Once again thanks for all the info.

Marius

Great post MCC.