Page 18 of 18 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18

Thread: Long rods, short rods, crisp rods, slow rods etc and your style of fishing.

Quote Originally Posted by dollar View Post
    so true Andre, even with a soft tip rod i still have an amount of loose line hanging between the reel and hand to help absorb those shocks (casting mistakes and spooked fish)
    Yes, many people do this while Czech nymphing, but its risky. It is the slack line that caused the tippet to break. Unless you are very good at controlling the line through your fingers, before it gets to the reel, you are heading for trouble. the line almost always gets shocked when the slack is taken up and the reel starts. Better to have all the line on the reel and to rely on the reels smooth start up capabilities, even better to fish with zero slack line between reel and flies. Golden rules to remember...slack line loses fish....
    Disclaimer.... none of my posts are intended to be "expert advice"..just opinions from someone who is willing to help where he can.

important advise there Andre. i forgot to mention that i prefer to use light reels, mainly the click and pawl type. i have learnt to scissor the line between my index and middle finger to good affect, what i mean is that i hold both rod and line lightly in my hand grip and this gives me the best of two things, firslty sensitivity and the scissored line slips thru my fingers like a dragged reel. but have to admit that there are few times the loose line gets caught onto the reel handle and is an hurried affair to get it freed.
    most times a small click and pawl reel will not balance a long rod but i enjoy the light weight combo (long rod and reel) for czech nymphing. it also has giving me the atmost pleasure in taming a fish, maybe it stems from fishing with kp reels.

Andre i know you fish the sage esn 2wt.How does it cast a dry if needed?

Stellenbosch and Kuils River, Western Cape

Quote Originally Posted by saflyfish View Post
    Andre i know you fish the sage esn 2wt.How does it cast a dry if needed?
    Here is how he feels about it, LOL
    http://www.flytalk.co.za/forum/showt...wt-for-dry-fly

thanks shector

Page 18 of 18 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18