Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast

Thread: Long rods, short rods, crisp rods, slow rods etc and your style of fishing.

Quote Originally Posted by Rafter Fisher Adventures View Post
    Fir LM I like a dik, stywe stok something that can cast in wind, heavy flies and finally when you hook into something big you know it can handle it! Simple really...Stealth Bomber,etc
    Interesting... the last thing I would want for largemouth is a thick stiff stick, even with heavy flies. Its not only thick stiff sticks that can cast in wind.
    Disclaimer.... none of my posts are intended to be "expert advice"..just opinions from someone who is willing to help where he can.

Quote Originally Posted by Korrie View Post
    Gerrit
    have a look at the outfits of the first tarpon caught on fly.
    Some available on youtube.
    Old fibreglass rods and no drag.
    The rods where so soft
    Iow people had skill, and did not rely too much on the tackle to do most of the work for them. The way new rods and models are advertised you'd swear that you just have to add water and the rod will catch the fish
    Mario Geldenhuys
    Smallstream fanatic, plus I do some other things that I can't tell you about

"All the tips or magical insights in the world can't replace devotion, dedication, commitment, and gumption - and there is not secret in that" - Glenn Brackett

I am still a bit of a rod slut, no favourite brand or length per se. My favourite river rod remains a Thomas & Thomas LPS 8'6" 3 wt.
    That said, I increasingly find myself enjoying rods that are longer and a bit slower, 10 foot and medium to medium-fast at best.
    Why slower: if I was a competition angler I think I would go with a faster, crisper action. But I am not. I like a slower action simply for the enjoyment of casting and the experience rather than the utility of flyfishing.

On the video's Korrie posted. I enjoy fishing mostly like Pascal Cognard and catch more fish fish like Jiri Klima. But in reality, they both use a variety of techniques, depending on the situation.

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen Louw View Post
    I am still a bit of a rod slut, no favourite brand or length per se. My favourite river rod remains a Thomas & Thomas LPS 8'6" 3 wt.
    That said, I increasingly find myself enjoying rods that are longer and a bit slower, 10 foot and medium to medium-fast at best.
    Why slower: if I was a competition angler I think I would go with a faster, crisper action. But I am not. I like a slower action simply for the enjoyment of casting and the experience rather than the utility of flyfishing.

On the video's Korrie posted. I enjoy fishing mostly like Pascal Cognard and catch more fish fish like Jiri Klima. But in reality, they both use a variety of techniques, depending on the situation.
    Stephen
    Most competition anglers do not prefer the "faster, crisper action rods" Most prefer a medium fast rod.
    Protects the fine tippets. You can "do more" with a medium fast rod than a fast rod.
    Korrie Broos

Don't go knocking on Death's door, ring the bell and run like hell. He hates it. (anon)
    Nymphing, adds depth to your fly fishing.
    Nymphing, is fly fishing in another dimension

Quote Originally Posted by smallstreams.co.za View Post
    Iow people had skill, and did not rely too much on the tackle to do most of the work for them. The way new rods and models are advertised you'd swear that you just have to add water and the rod will catch the fish
    And land them for you...(gaap)

Quote Originally Posted by Andre View Post
    Interesting... the last thing I would want for largemouth is a thick stiff stick, even with heavy flies. Its not only thick stiff sticks that can cast in wind.

Andre that is great! Over time "I" now know exactly what I want to use for LM in any condition, any scenario!

Quote Originally Posted by Korrie View Post
    Stephen
    Most competition anglers do not prefer the "faster, crisper action rods" Most prefer a medium fast rod.
    Protects the fine tippets. You can "do more" with a medium fast rod than a fast rod.
    OK, then down scale my comment to a preference for a medium rather than medium fast. Slower than an XP (although an XP is lovely) and closer to a T&T LPS.
    But as I said, I don't have firm preferences and like fishing with different types of rods on different days for the joy of so doing.

I believe a shorter and softer rod on streams is just an easier fishing tool for most, accuracy comes easier and the feel of the line working is also more pronounced. Accuracy with long rods and the feel of the line/leader take more practice, but has distinct advantages under many fishing conditions.

For this thread's benefit, lets narrow it down to dry fly and nymph fishing from Cape Streams to Vaal/Orange river.
    (LM on streamers and other fishing on streamers i.e. SM on streamers I think has huge potential)
    (on a couple of trips I have caught a number of SM on streamers from the middle of the winter to the middle of summer)
    But for now,
    Most fishing will be done from close to short and medium distance probably half a fly line most of the time.

One aspect I think we all agree for now is that a fast/shorter rod will not be ideal. i.e. shorter than 8"
    a short, slower rod will have a number of applications.

Any person disagreeing with above?
    Last edited by Korrie; 21-07-16 at 01:09 PM.
    Korrie Broos

Don't go knocking on Death's door, ring the bell and run like hell. He hates it. (anon)

Quote Originally Posted by Winelands Fly Fishing View Post
    I believe a shorter and softer rod on streams is just an easier fishing tool for most, accuracy comes easier and the feel of the line working is also more pronounced. Accuracy with long rods and the feel of the line/leader take more practice, but has distinct advantages under many fishing conditions.
    I found that when I started, I "out grew" my shorter softer rod that was sold to me, very quickly. To such an extent that I almost stopped fly fishing, as I did not "like" the feel of the rod or what it should do.
    22 years ago, the way people fished and what was the "norm" and now is a lot different.
    The exposure to external influences was a lot smaller. The only interaction you had was the CPS bar on a Thursday and later on Monday evening and everyone talked "dry fly" and "match the hatch" and "Drag free". Then the CFF magazine was launched and you could read about SA fly fishing.
    Korrie Broos

Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast