Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Damselfly nymph options?

Quote Originally Posted by Winelands Fly Fishing View Post
    A damsel swims like a snake, wiggling from side to side, unlike a dragon nymph that swims in a straight plain. Using a mono loop as a knot does add a lot to this movement, also twitching with the rod, and fishing much slower than we as humans want to, that is difficult...
    With this in mind...articulated flies comes to mind to mimic the "s" movement.

I have had great success at lakensvlei with damsels on various occasions, the brighter green and olive colour, about size 10 and 12 (quite small) both red and black eyes. fished with an intermediate line towards the grass on the sides up towards the inlet. there are lots of damsels there and if you walk along the sides, you can spot them swimming around in the clear water and have a good look at how they swim. Fishing natural imitations is a lot of fun , and very satisfying when you get it right. My feeling is that generic patterns are very much the "go to" flies for stillwaters, but naturals are far more technical to fish, and so much fun, in that it takes an understanding of the real thing to be able to simulate the movement.
    I fish damsels on the streams as well, but tend more towards a dark olive colour.
    Disclaimer.... none of my posts are intended to be "expert advice"..just opinions from someone who is willing to help where he can.

thanks for the advice...i will try this

Quote Originally Posted by Andre View Post
    I have had great success at lakensvlei with damsels on various occasions, the brighter green and olive colour, about size 10 and 12 (quite small) both red and black eyes. fished with an intermediate line towards the grass on the sides up towards the inlet. there are lots of damsels there and if you walk along the sides, you can spot them swimming around in the clear water and have a good look at how they swim. Fishing natural imitations is a lot of fun , and very satisfying when you get it right. My feeling is that generic patterns are very much the "go to" flies for stillwaters, but naturals are far more technical to fish, and so much fun, in that it takes an understanding of the real thing to be able to simulate the movement.
    I fish damsels on the streams as well, but tend more towards a dark olive colour.
    How do you perform the retrieve Andre?

Quote Originally Posted by saflyfish View Post
    How do you perform the retrieve Andre?
    Exactly as the guys have said, slow figure of eight, incorporating short jerks with the rod tip. the retrieves can be varied according to the conditions until you find the right one. best to watch a real one swimming if you can, they do the side to side movement but they are not as erratic as tadpoles. they have a movement all of their own. the side to side movement is quite gentle.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8l5qiXBKDeA

Have a look at this link, although the one in this video seems a bit pannicky and very erratic, at larkies, they aren't nearly as erratic, but this movement should work
    Last edited by Andre; 22-07-16 at 10:17 AM.
    Disclaimer.... none of my posts are intended to be "expert advice"..just opinions from someone who is willing to help where he can.

Bit off topic.

What leader do you fish saflyfish? Configuration and length?

just a standard 9ft tapered leader

Quote Originally Posted by saflyfish View Post
    just a standard 9ft tapered leader
    What has been a real eyeopener for me when it comes to stillwater leaders and improved presentation is the use of a short (80cm - 1m) boiled tapered section followed by a length of level tippet, with the overall leader length from 12' - 18'. The use of the boiled section is twofold - it creates stretch/shock absorption limpness, finer tippets can be used. This section is also dyed or coloured a natural olive, and made dull by using water-paper. A small olive braided loop connects the leader to the fly line.

Quote Originally Posted by Winelands Fly Fishing View Post
    What has been a real eyeopener for me when it comes to stillwater leaders and improved presentation is the use of a short (80cm - 1m) boiled tapered section followed by a length of level tippet, with the overall leader length from 12' - 18'. The use of the boiled section is twofold - it creates stretch/shock absorption limpness, finer tippets can be used. This section is also dyed or coloured a natural olive, and made dull by using water-paper. A small olive braided loop connects the leader to the fly line.
    Very interesting, what diameter are you using?
    Korrie Broos

Don't go knocking on Death's door, ring the bell and run like hell. He hates it. (anon)
    Nymphing, adds depth to your fly fishing.
    Nymphing, is fly fishing in another dimension

.42 mm to .37mm or .37mm to .32mm Maxima Ultragreen. I have also used some of the Xplorer 0X leaders (not the Ultra Strong, the Standard one) boil and then use 90cm tapered part, so cut some of the back and front off, think the tip ends in .33mm.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast