Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: How old is the fish?

Default How old is the fish?

The start of this thread stems from many anglers not knowing what is the age of the fish they have caught. Some species grow fast and some extremely slow. For example, interesting is that a blacktail of 1kg can be 15 years old (just look at the yellow chipped horse teeth and it makes sense). A trout in South Africa will be lucky to reach an age of 5 years, while it can be way more in suitable climates.

I once had a conversation with Pat Garrat from Two Oceans Aquarium, at that stage they had a Kob of 45kgs in their main tank. I asked him, what is the approximate age of that fish, his reply " Close to her weight - 45 years". I know fish like Largemouth Yellows and Clan Yellows are very slow growing fish, so when you catch a trophy, the fish might be older than you. Then there are still people killing these precious specimens....

I like to eat fish, but these days are very aware of what I take out, and believe all anglers should have some background on the species they fish for.

I believe a Cape Stream Rainbow trout will be lucky to live for 3 years, Lakensvlei Rainbow maybe touching 4 years, most don't make 3 years. The biggest SA trout are probably in the region of 5 years old.

Here is some info on coastal fish ages.

http://www.saasta.ac.za/downloads/pd..._fish_2004.pdf

Sent from my SM-N920C using Tapatalk

Thank you Grant,

It is amazing to see how old species like the Cracker family are, also seems like 1 kilo equates to one year +.

According to our friend Google, the biggest Rainbow trout ever caught was 25.8 kg (dis 'n moerse forel!) and estimated to be 11 years old, so relatively fast growing fish.

http://www.onekind.org/education/top...longestliving/

Some koi fish have reportedly lived more than 200 years, the oldest being Hanako, who died at an age of 226 years on July 7, 1977

The more I Google about this the more interesting it becomes.

500 years for a clam is the longest known. That's really amazing.

There was a recent radio discussion on Koi's, and from what I recall, the oldest fish was 200 years + as you mentioned Grant, it's truly mind blowing. I am convinced, very few fly fishers know this ito the fish they fish for.

Largemouth growth rate. Length to Age.

uploadfromtaptalk1469259293210.jpg

I have wondered if old fish, "suffer" as much as people/dogs other animals with old age?
    My Staffie is 14 years old, and you see how he has become slower and stiffer with age.
    Long walks is no more a pleasure for him, he is stiff and sore.
    He does not want to jump into the back seat anymore because it is to high for his age.

The more I think of the BIG fish we want to catch and the effect of the fight has on the fish and the release, I am starting to wonder how much do the fish suffer?????
    Korrie Broos

Don't go knocking on Death's door, ring the bell and run like hell. He hates it. (anon)
    Nymphing, adds depth to your fly fishing.
    Nymphing, is fly fishing in another dimension

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast