Thread: Orange River below Augrabies

Default Orange River below Augrabies

Morning guys.
    I would like to know if the is anyone that could help me with some information on the ideal flies to use for the Orange River below Augrabies. I am relatively new to fly fishing and still gaining experience. I have fished the Vaal and would like to know if the same flies there would apply to the Orange River? Where heading there at the end of Sept. If you have advise on other techniques to use, I would appreciate it also. My plan thus far is nymphing for the smallmouths as i do not realy know how to target the bigmouths. I read that the smallmouths there will even take baitfish flies?! Once again any help/sugestions will help.
    Thank you
    Willie

Sent from my E5603 using Tapatalk

Same flies and same techniques as for the Vaal
    Korrie Broos

Don't go knocking on Death's door, ring the bell and run like hell. He hates it. (anon)
    Nymphing, adds depth to your fly fishing.
    Nymphing, is fly fishing in another dimension

While nymphing does work, I find you get a lot of small fish. You might be better off as you suggested fishing larger flies like baitfish or bug imitations. The smallmouth eat this and you stand a good chance to hook that largemouth.

Thought I would give you an update on what happened with my outing. I fished a stretch of water at ***amas at the island Marchand with good success. I then went and fished the water at Augrabies. Now there is some spectacular sites and water there now that you have to see to believe. I lost a good couple of fish and landed a whole lot also, still a novice at this so practise will be the method of learning. The water is very clear and there is very little algae and muck that bother you. If anyone is going that way you can stay at a place called Oppi-eiland for R250 pp and your a stones throw from the river.

Nice lyk kwaai!

Lekker photos and thanks for the info.