Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Rhodes info sept trip

Default Rhodes info sept trip

Hi all

I am planning a trip up to Rhodes at the end of september, and was wondering if anybody has info on how the area has been fishing recently after the bad drought last season? We were thinking of concentrating on the lower beats of the sterk and bok, and possibly even the upper kraai?Our thinking was that lower down the water levels might of allowed the fish to do a bit better, also hoping a few yellows might start moving up the rivers.

Thanks Max

Quote Originally Posted by maxwink View Post
    Hi all

I am planning a trip up to Rhodes at the end of september, and was wondering if anybody has info on how the area has been fishing recently after the bad drought last season? We were thinking of concentrating on the lower beats of the sterk and bok, and possibly even the upper kraai?Our thinking was that lower down the water levels might of allowed the fish to do a bit better, also hoping a few yellows might start moving up the rivers.

Thanks Max
    Rivers are flowing well at the moment - well enough to warrant a trip. Waters are still very cold, and I doubt you'll find too many yellows up that high just yet. Fish stocks are far lower than hoped, but there are fish around - some good sized ones as well. Especially in the middle Bok!
    Mario Geldenhuys
    Smallstream fanatic, plus I do some other things that I can't tell you about

"All the tips or magical insights in the world can't replace devotion, dedication, commitment, and gumption - and there is not secret in that" - Glenn Brackett

From my experience in previous September trips, it is definitely worth fishing the Kraai.
    If you want yellowfish, you will probably have to fish lower down the Kraai near Barkly.
    For trout, based on how the fishing was in late April, the Sterkspruit and Bok should be a lot better than the Bell river.

Quote Originally Posted by Circus View Post
    From my experience in previous September trips, it is definitely worth fishing the Kraai.
    If you want yellowfish, you will probably have to fish lower down the Kraai near Barkly.
    For trout, based on how the fishing was in late April, the Sterkspruit and Bok should be a lot better than the Bell river.
    The Upper Bell was actually the only river producing fish into May. Beats like Brucedell and Gateshead looked almost barren middle May, while there were still the odd fish in the Bell. Look to beats like Donnybrook and Waterval for possible yellows. We fished a section below Donnybrook (speak to Oom Roy Cloete from Waterval - I think it was called Omega - not sure) that is not WTA water, and it was amazing, even at the back-end of the drought.
    Mario Geldenhuys

"All the tips or magical insights in the world can't replace devotion, dedication, commitment, and gumption - and there is not secret in that" - Glenn Brackett

Oh ja - also try Tygerkrantz!!!
    Mario Geldenhuys

Great thanks for the info guys, looks like we prob going to stay at Orlando's lair which is on the Kraai, but will keep the bell in mind as another option!

Quote Originally Posted by maxwink View Post
    Great thanks for the info guys, looks like we prob going to stay at Orlando's lair which is on the Kraai, but will keep the bell in mind as another option!
    You'll be pretty close to us. Kelvin Grove is probably 8 to 9km from where we will be staying. Will be on the farm from 30 Sep to 07 Oct. Maybe we could share a beat if you are keen?
    Mario Geldenhuys

Orlando's lair is a great spot. Best fishing is from the sand bank just downstream from the house downstream for 50m. Tight against the outside of the bend.
    There's also a great spot at the bottom of the beat at 30 51.01S ; 27 44.47E

@maxwink - I'm most likely going be fishing the Three Drifts and Bamboeshoekspruit early on in the week while we are there. Not sure how they are fishing, hence me doing some legwork. If you want to tag along for what could be a great day or shocker, drop me a message - I can pick you up at Kelvin Grove on the way there. I'm also very keen to do Mount Mourne/Francisdale and DEF Knockwarren.
    Mario Geldenhuys

Hi Mario

Sounds great but I think we might just miss you guys we going to be there from the 25-27th of sept.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast