Thread: Custom stillwater order

Default Custom stillwater order

Finished a custom order, off to KZN. Some samples below.

Last edited by FlyCraft; 08-09-16 at 12:14 PM.

Soft Hackle Buggers in #8 and #12

Bugger Tail guards/Hot Spots

Peach Jiggabugger can be a deadly impact player.

Very pretty!
    Philip, why do you tie the jig flies on normal hooks? Is it not a whole lot less effort to tie them on jig hooks, thereby negating the effort of the burnt mono to hold the bead on?

Nice collection!
    Those damsels are bakgat! Nice long tails!
    So tell me.... How Big's yours?

Quote Originally Posted by Circus View Post
    Very pretty!
    Philip, why do you tie the jig flies on normal hooks? Is it not a whole lot less effort to tie them on jig hooks, thereby negating the effort of the burnt mono to hold the bead on?
    Hi David,

You can tie them on jig hooks. I started using this technique before jig hooks were available in SA and came across a caddis pattern in a UK mag, where the bead was tied on a bent pin, off the hook hook shank. Initially I used pins but often the pin slipped out/broke off. Also a bigger bead can be used on a smaller hook than is the case with jig hooks, eg a 3.5mm on a #12 hook. With some brands of jig hooks, the hook eye is also very close to inline with the hook point. Brass can also be used instead of tungsten.
    Last edited by FlyCraft; 08-09-16 at 06:26 PM.

Mooi man ek like!

The Jigbugger offers the following, which makes it stand out as a remarkable fly and I have had great success with it:

- Fish start to shy away from the hook on pressured water (the visibility of the hook in most flies) by giving a fresh presentation/angle on the fly, more fish haven't seen it and are fooled by it. I often use marabou as the overwing which conceals the hook more than CDC. Using brass beads a dressed CDC overwing, less marabou in the tail and an overwing of deer/marabou swings the fly, or put lead on the hook shank and no bead needed.
    - More hookups are in the top jaw, offering a better hookup and pulling force when fighting the fish, with the fish going down and the fly penetrating more, the angle and force of fighting the fish subdues the fish quicker and less fish are lost.
    - Less snags on the bottom and in structure.

Part in tying this fly came from experimentation and this article - http://www.rackelhanen.se/eng/10331.htm

The hook being visible theory is very interesting will go read the article tomorrow.

Very happy these beauties now reside in my box!! Beautiful work thank you Philip, and thanks for getting them to me so quickly on a last minute order!
    A pity the conditions in KZN were so shocking they barely got much use... but looking forward to feeding them to some more Cape Stillwater fish..
    *** TO RIDE, SHOOT STRAIGHT AND SPEAK THE TRUTH ***

Some people are like Slinkies.... Not really good for anything, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over. - Hunter S. Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by Nepptune View Post
    Very happy these beauties now reside in my box!! Beautiful work thank you Philip, and thanks for getting them to me so quickly on a last minute order!
    A pity the conditions in KZN were so shocking they barely got much use... but looking forward to feeding them to some more Cape Stillwater fish..
    I think the fishermen just sucked!
    "So here’s my point. Don’t go and get your ego all out of proportion because you can tie a fly and catch a fish that’s dumb enough to eat a car key.." - Louis Cahill - Gink and Gasoline