Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: what is the best way to mount a GoPro?

Default what is the best way to mount a GoPro?

Hi all. I’ve just received a GoPro action camera as a gift for my birthday. It is the first time I have ever owned one and I must say that I am excited to get out there and give it a try. I want to use it while I am fishing but I’m not sure what would be the best way to mount it for this purpose. How do others mount their cameras? I’m between going with a head or chest mount at the moment but I’m sure that there are other options that I have not even thought of. I’ve been looking at GoPro accessories for sale online and seen that there is a big price difference between GoPro branded accessories and third party products. Are the third party products as good? They certainly offer a good saving. Obviously I am a bit new to this so any advice that anybody can offer would be much appreciated. Another thing I guess I need to consider is the best way to record audio. Does the camera pick up the audio while it is in it’s waterproof case? Looking forward to hearing everybody’s thoughts.

blackfront.jpg
    Last edited by Stucky; 16-09-16 at 05:42 AM. Reason: typo

I would say a head mount is best (for fishing) if you only had to choose between head/chest.
    I have found (From using with MTB) that on the chest it's hard to get the angle correct.
    A head mount imo gives a better point of view and follows more closely to where you are looking.
    So tell me.... How Big's yours?

Quote Originally Posted by MR.GT View Post
    I would say a head mount is best (for fishing) if you only had to choose between head/chest.
    I have found (From using with MTB) that on the chest it's hard to get the angle correct.
    A head mount imo gives a better point of view and follows more closely to where you are looking.
    That makes sense. Thanks for the feedback. Some of these third party kits you can get come with a head and chest mount by the look of things so I should have both covered. But I agree that the head mount seems the most practical.

Mounted on the head you get too much movement as your head swings from side to side a lot.

The chesty mount is better in stabilizing the camera but then you bump the camera a lot while fishing and the rod and hands cover a lot of the fight at times.

I have found a shoulder mount where the camera sits ontop of the shoulder giving an over the shoulder effect ...

Enjoy the camera, enjoy shooting video and enjoy editing the footage. Its all about capturing memories ...
    Gerhard Delport

We lose ourselves in the things we love.
    We also find ourselves there... Too

I have velcro on my trolling motor's head and on camera so when I fish alone I mount camera on top to take snaps. I know this is probably not the answer you're looking for just telling you about my boat set up.

Both have there advantages.
    Headstrap think has a better angle but I prefer my chest strap as its more comfortable to wear.
    Trying to wear the headmount with a cap becomes a bit cumbersome.

sometimes leaving it perched on something (rock, tree or even your wading stick) a few meters away from the action

Get a drone and connect your Gopro to it.
    https://www.wired.com/2016/09/gopros...ok-mighty-hot/
    just be careful for your fly line on the back cast into the propellers.
    Korrie Broos

Don't go knocking on Death's door, ring the bell and run like hell. He hates it. (anon)
    Nymphing, adds depth to your fly fishing.
    Nymphing, is fly fishing in another dimension

Quote Originally Posted by Korrie View Post
    Get a drone and connect your Gopro to it.
    https://www.wired.com/2016/09/gopros...ok-mighty-hot/
    just be careful for your fly line on the back cast into the propellers.
    PS: the new GoPro's are coming out in a month or 2 and some of the features are listed in this article.
    for those who want to buy a Gopro, might be worth month or 2 wait for the new features.
    Korrie Broos

Don't go knocking on Death's door, ring the bell and run like hell. He hates it. (anon)
    Nymphing, adds depth to your fly fishing.
    Nymphing, is fly fishing in another dimension

Korrie,
    From the videos I have seen on this drone its a camera dedicated for the drone except but you can use it as a hand help device with the gimble.

Might be good competition for DJI as the DJI gimble alone is over $500...

So a product that includes both for $800 will draw attention!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Gerhard Delport

We lose ourselves in the things we love.
    We also find ourselves there... Too

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast