Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Sage TXL-F 00wt What lyn works well?

Default Sage TXL-F 00wt What lyn works well?

Hi Guys

Anybody fishing with a Sage TXL-F 00wt? What lyn do you use on it, any comments? I generally like overlining rods. I have a 3wt rio gold on the 2wt TXL-f and I love it.........

I am thinking of getting the Rio LT but I am not sure if i should up line it.

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by IVenter View Post
    Hi Guys

Anybody fishing with a Sage TXL-F 00wt? What lyn do you use on it, any comments? I generally like overlining rods. I have a 3wt rio gold on the 2wt TXL-f and I love it.........

I am thinking of getting the Rio LT but I am not sure if i should up line it.

Cheers
    #00??? You only get those from one brand - Rio. Overlining a light rod like that is a mistake. I don't think you should do that.
    Mario Geldenhuys
    Smallstream fanatic, plus I do some other things that I can't tell you about

"All the tips or magical insights in the world can't replace devotion, dedication, commitment, and gumption - and there is not secret in that" - Glenn Brackett

From older posts and other guys in SA that have one these rods are regularly overlined upto 2wt lines. I wish it was as easy as buying a 00wt line for 00wt rod.

Ivann

From older posts and other guys in SA that have one these rods are regularly overlined upto 2wt lines. I wish it was as easy as buying a 00wt line for 00wt rod.

Ivann
    An #00 overlined by 3 line weights?? Never heard or seen that. I own one for a very long time now, and have used a Sage QDT I, II and Rio LT line on mine without any issues.

Why would you want to overline the rod?
    Mario Geldenhuys

"All the tips or magical insights in the world can't replace devotion, dedication, commitment, and gumption - and there is not secret in that" - Glenn Brackett

Bit of a story

1. Moved to cape and only owned a 5wt. Need something for the streams
    2. Take a punt and pick up a Sage TXL-f 00wt + line + click reel for R3750. Moerse bargain
    3. I cast the 00wt. Shit the thing wont load. I was not sure what line this was. Maybe the oke sold it because its shitt???
    3. Buy a 2wt TXL-f from a friend with 2wt hardy line.
    4. I cast both the 00wt and the 2wt with the 2wt line. Both are ok but not great for me.
    5. Bought a 3wt rio gold and put it on the 2wt and its like magic in my hands. One one of those combinations that you dream about casting all day. I love it.
    6. Now that makes me think that the original 00wt line is no good for this rod. And I am looking for advice..... I have the rio lt line in mind but not sure of wt.

See comments i got on FB, seems its not that crazy.

WhatsApp Image 2016-09-29 at 14.12.03.jpg

Bit of a story

1. Moved to cape and only owned a 5wt. Need something for the streams
    2. Take a punt and pick up a Sage TXL-f 00wt + line + click reel for R3750. Moerse bargain
    3. I cast the 00wt. Shit the thing wont load. I was not sure what line this was. Maybe the oke sold it because its shitt???
    3. Buy a 2wt TXL-f from a friend with 2wt hardy line.
    4. I cast both the 00wt and the 2wt with the 2wt line. Both are ok but not great for me.
    5. Bought a 3wt rio gold and put it on the 2wt and its like magic in my hands. One one of those combinations that you dream about casting all day. I love it.
    6. Now that makes me think that the original 00wt line is no good for this rod. And I am looking for advice..... I have the rio lt line in mind but not sure of wt.

See comments i got on FB, seems its not that crazy.

1 comment from Mac Can't be too rude though, he has some of my nets

My #00 TXL loads 100% fine with all the #00 lines. The TXL-F I have in a #1 also loads 100% with the #1 line. Not sure why the line you have does not load it well. My 2c on this, is that you (me) fish a #00 for the properties the line has - not really the rod. The rod however is kinda crucial to deliver that line. For super delicate presentation where the line is almost as thick as the butt of the leader, the #00 really comes into it's own. Add to that the 7'10 - it just makes a KILLER small stream combo!! Disappointed for your sake that it does not feel right for you - it's an awesome rod.
    Mario Geldenhuys

Stellenbosch and Kuils River, Western Cape

Now that makes me think that the original 00wt line is no good for this rod. And I am looking for advice..... I have the rio lt line in mind but not sure of wt.WhatsApp Image 2016-09-29 at 14.12.03.jpg
    Sage develops its rods to match a specific line. This applies even more so with the light line rods such as the TXL and TXL-F's where they developed the line and rod together side-by-side in order to get the best performance from these rods. Rio is owned by Sage so they also manufacture the Sage branded lines. So whether you buy the Rio 00 wt line or the Sage 00wt line, its the same thing. With respect to casting and load of the TXL and TXL-F's I believe the Rio or Sage lines for that matter are the BEST lines suited for these rods and they are BEST used with its designated line i.e. 00wt line for 00wt rod. I have owned and cast many of them and I can truly say that they perform best with the line intended for the rod.

My 2c

I read on older american forums that they also over lined the TXL-F. Spending R800 on a line is a gamble for me. What if its shit, sell it for R400??? But i guess i am going to have a punt.

I think its probably the person casting the rod that is the problem
    Tiaan

Fly Fishing Addict

who said there was a problem???? I am bit of a special needs caster, but dont be an ars! & You taught me how to cast!
    Last edited by IVenter; 29-09-16 at 03:28 PM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast