Thread: Vaal nymphing knots

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Vaal nymphing knots

Hi guys I had a difficult day on the vaal on saturday, both the fish I hooked came off when the knots parted. Its rather embarrassing to say the least as neither fish was of any notable size..

I couldnt find a nice thread exclusively about knots within the larger multi-fly setup so maybe theres other okes who could also benefit with such a discussion. Herewith is a post that I had actually posted on another forum as I wasnt sure where to post here as it doesnt fall under fly tying, or lines or techniques... Its a bit of a deurmekaar post but anyways, here goes:

"Hi guys

I was nymphing the vaal yesterday but was struggling a bit with breaking off, losing a couple of yellows in the process. My question relates to which knots all of u believe in. I have previously also struggled a bit wth my knots parting.. The alternative is that I simply overestimate the strenth of the 8lb tippet but here goes..

I use the uni-knot to connect the tippet and leader, had one breakoff on this knot. Previously I have also used the loop to loop with either surgeons or perfection knots..

Then I have started using a propper dropper setup instead of NZ or truck-and-trailer, and I used the surgeons loop to tie one tag end to the dropper and the other to the point fly (or another surgeons loop if 3 flies are used).. Had another breakoff here with minimal pressure on the line..

Actually I should tie a couple of knots and break them of on a scale to measure their actual breaking strengths but I would like to hear more Sealiner's opinions on what they use and what works and doesnt for them..

Oh ja I was using Featherlite 8lb tippet

Thanks all"

For droppers I use a double surgeons and for tippet to fly the Davy or double Davy. I know some guys prefer the Penny (GGY) but I haven't had any major issues with ol Davy. For leader construction i.e joining lines I use blood knots.

I've resorted to now tie knots and pulling them on the scale to see where they break..
    The double surgeons knots I tie tend to break at less than half the lines breaking strength
    Guess I'm missing something somewhere. I'm going to start testing uni-knots for linking tippet to leader and dropper setups.

The loop to loop connections I tie are slightly stronger but still popping at well below the lines breaking strength but im not too keen on this knot because theres now 2 knots and a hinge everywhere lines are connected..

Rather uncool stories man..

Oh I forgot to mention my tippet material is 3-4 years old but that isnt old enough to render it useless? Rather my knot tying or testing is flawed. Knots might well be stronger when wet I suppose?

Sounds like it may be a tippet material issue, I've used uni knots to construct leaders for years and still do. It's not age that's a problem, rather exposure to sunlight which degrades mono.

Mario Geldenhuys
    Smallstream fanatic, plus I do some other things that I can't tell you about

"All the tips or magical insights in the world can't replace devotion, dedication, commitment, and gumption - and there is not secret in that" - Glenn Brackett

Mario Geldenhuys

"All the tips or magical insights in the world can't replace devotion, dedication, commitment, and gumption - and there is not secret in that" - Glenn Brackett

Mario Geldenhuys

Thanks for the replies guys

I spent much of the weekend on the internet doing my own research
    The tippets I have is monofilament (I always assumed they were fluoro!!) and I read plenty of articles about old mono which becomes unreliable even if never used but spent a few years on the shop shelves for instance... Where as fluoro doesnt get broken down by UV etc..

I think the line I have must've become brittle as they had very very low breaking strengths but notably in all cases the line popped on the knot and not a single test did the line fail between knots even though I took the utmost care to tie them as neat as possible (and lube them). I also checked and turns out some of the spools I have date back to 2008!! Also I believe not all brands/batches degrade so rapidly/noticeably

I am going to buy new tippet (mono and fluoro) today and start new breaking tests tonight and hopefully get knots that fail at closer to 80 or 90% of the line's strength..

Quote Originally Posted by Hendrik84 View Post
    Oh I forgot to mention my tippet material is 3-4 years old but that isnt old enough to render it useless? Rather my knot tying or testing is flawed. Knots might well be stronger when wet I suppose?
    Knots need to be lubed before being pulled tight. If not, there is heat buildup that weakens the mono.
    Mario Geldenhuys