Thread: Bull Bluegills

Default Bull Bluegills

Finally after lots of enquiries, false leads and lots of kilometers managed to find a pond close to home with some prety decent bluegill in it.
    Even though we had about 25mm of rain during the night the fish were still sitting in the shallows where I could sight fish to them.
    What an awesome experience, these guys can pull hard on a 3wt and they really were great fun.
    A small #12 yellow and red Wooly Worm did the trick. There were even bigger brim in the pond but the owner recons they are very suspicious and the weather conditions pushed them of the shallows.
    I became an instant addict and can see why some people actively fish for these bad boys.
    What makes the pond so special is that there are only gill in it and about 7 massive female bass to weed out the smaller fish.
    These are some of the better fish I managed to land

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Those are awesome Bluegill! Such a great little fish... nicely done Mkhondo...
    *** TO RIDE, SHOOT STRAIGHT AND SPEAK THE TRUTH ***

Some people are like Slinkies.... Not really good for anything, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over. - Hunter S. Thompson

Bluegills are ferocious predators.
    I recall a trip into the Cedarberg to target Clanwilliams.
    After a day, We gave up on the Clanwilliams and targeted the bass.
    But we could not get to the bass, as the Bluegill where attacking the 7cm wooly buggers with continous takes.
    Every now and again you would hook one that would impale itself on the big hooks.
    Korrie Broos

Don't go knocking on Death's door, ring the bell and run like hell. He hates it. (anon)
    Nymphing, adds depth to your fly fishing.
    Nymphing, is fly fishing in another dimension

WOW, absolute monster Bluegills!

Thanks guys