Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Bamboo ID?

Default Bamboo ID?

Hi guys I found some bamboo growing on the side of the road. It was growing next to a small stream and was growing in clumps. It was at least 4m high. The node spacing was just over 30cm. What species of bamboo could this be? And would it be useful for building rods? Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan95 View Post
    Hi guys I found some bamboo growing on the side of the road. It was growing next to a small stream and was growing in clumps. It was at least 4m high. The node spacing was just over 30cm. What species of bamboo could this be? And would it be useful for building rods? Thanks.
    Diameter??

Could be anything hey ....
    Mario Geldenhuys
    Smallstream fanatic, plus I do some other things that I can't tell you about

"All the tips or magical insights in the world can't replace devotion, dedication, commitment, and gumption - and there is not secret in that" - Glenn Brackett

About 8cm.

Tonkin, definitely. Take a piece and shake it a bit......and you have a flyrod!:wink:
    Calling fishing a hobby is like calling brain surgery a job - Paul Scullery

About 8cm.
    Sho, 8cm is a good culm!!! Could be Moso - if it is Tonkin I would be surprised. Have you checked the fibre density?
    Mario Geldenhuys

"All the tips or magical insights in the world can't replace devotion, dedication, commitment, and gumption - and there is not secret in that" - Glenn Brackett

How do I check the fiber density?

How do I check the fiber density?
    Cut a piece and check the wall

If they are nice and dense, you can make a lovely rod I reckon.
    Mario Geldenhuys

I went and checked it. It looks just like the one in the top pic you posted.

I went and checked it. It looks just like the one in the top pic you posted.
    That's awesome. Cut them to cure for next season!!! Have you got the DVD Trout Grass?
    Mario Geldenhuys

Will do. I don't have that DVD. What is it about and where can I find it?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast