Thread: Cape vidal Feb 2017

Hybrid View

Default Cape vidal Feb 2017

Good day guys ,booked some time at Vidal for Feb 2017 .

I am new to the saltwater flyfishing scene, got a 9 wt T50 and a shilton saltwater reel on it. My question is what line will be the best with this outfit for saltwater?

I am not sure if the water there is classed as cold or tropical ?

Any specific flies that I should take with?

I have read up on the flyfishing there, but cant seem to find info on lines?

Thanks

I fished Vidal before the beach driving ban and it was a little slice of paradise once you got away from the Camp. Big stonebream, wave garrick, greenspots etc. You need a relatively stiff, braided core intermediate line. The cold water lines are often ok in warm water but the reverse doesn't hold. I would be happy using an Airflo Cold SW intermediate which is useable in the Cape whereas a proper tropical intermediate may not be fantastic in cooler water. If you are sticking to KZN or points north then get a tropical line. Airflo are good but I've used and relied on Cortland and Sci Anglers Bonefish intermediates as well. Do not get a monocore! You need a relatively stiff line in the surf. Take a spare as well.
    We found that relatively smaller flies did better - a shrimpy #6 on .37 FC caught everything, even greenspots. If you see baitfish in clumps then throw a streamer but if you prospect with a smaller fly you will get more eats and species.

Sent from my HUAWEI VNS-L22 using Tapatalk

Thank you for the reply allsorts

Take a lighter rod as well as you will have more fun on the smaller fish. Just wash your tackle well after each session.

Quote Originally Posted by white death View Post
    Take a lighter rod as well as you will have more fun on the smaller fish. Just wash your tackle well after each session.
    I will have my 5 and 7 WT rods with me as wellencouragement:

Any specific flies to take to vidal? and in what size?