Thread: Dyeing materials

Wiets Banned User

Default Dyeing materials

I have substantial materials which require dyeing - horse mane hair, bucktail, rabbit skins, Icelandic sheep skins, Tibetan lamb skin, feathers, etc. I have ordered AK Best book called "Dyeing and Bleaching, Second Edition: Natural Fly-Tying Materials" from Amazon (shipping delayed yet again ).

I have no clue where to start or where to source the dyeing materials. Your advise will be appreciated!

Quote Originally Posted by Wiets View Post
    I have substantial materials which require dyeing - horse mane hair, bucktail, rabbit skins, Icelandic sheep skins, Tibetan lamb skin, feathers, etc. I have ordered AK Best book called "Dyeing and Bleaching, Second Edition: Natural Fly-Tying Materials" from Amazon (shipping delayed yet again ).

I have no clue where to start or where to source the dyeing materials. Your advise will be appreciated!
    Wiets, from your growing list of materials, I can only deduce that you are involved in some illegal act of decimating the world's entire supply of materials, and setting up your own little Microsoft (r) empire of the tying world!
    Mario Geldenhuys
    Smallstream fanatic, plus I do some other things that I can't tell you about

"All the tips or magical insights in the world can't replace devotion, dedication, commitment, and gumption - and there is not secret in that" - Glenn Brackett

I haven't dyed anything (except flylines) but a woman in my fishing club dyes material for flytying extensively and she swears by Rit warm water dye. Dip in hot but not boiling dye solution she says.

Wiets Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Elliott View Post
    I haven't dyed anything (except flylines) but a woman in my fishing club dyes material for flytying extensively and she swears by Rit warm water dye. Dip in hot but not boiling dye solution she says.
    Thank you for this!
    There are lots of useful info on the Rit Dye website - even how to mix different colours.
    Last edited by Wiets; 28-06-07 at 01:44 PM.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.