Thread: Of to Mtunzini

Default Of to Mtunzini

Hi All

I'm of to Mtunzini December. Anyone has been there recently?

Help and info on tackle setup, fish to target in estuary and of the beach, what works and what not. I've only fished freshwater so the saltwater thing is new to me. Oh ja can you float tube in the estuary i have a XPt II pontoon boat but don,t want to take it down there unnecessary(I heard about the rear croc or two in the estuary now and then)

i havent been but check out sealine its a wedsite almost like fly talk just only salt water and no fly fishing but i use it to check out what fish are biting

Hi Obie,

Generally the estuary visibility is not great, but if it is okay you can target leeries, river snapper, kob, shad (all in deepr channels) and grunter (on the flats) here. I wouldn't feel comfortable on a tube here, not only because of the stray croc or two but also the odd Zambie in the estuary.

In the surf it is mostly sandy beach. Very good inedible fishing (diamond rays particularly) if that is your thing, but we also got a lot of shad and Kob. Look for holes within casting distance with a 7 wt or heavier and use clouser minnows and deceiver flies stripped quickly on a sinking line. Best conditions are after a couple of days' North or North East wind. Alternatively, an orange Charlie cast into shallow working water should get you a wave garrick or moonie.

If you have time, take the drive North to Cape Vidal as it is generally a bit easier for fly-fishing (rocky ledges etc.)

Try to get hold of Alistair from source to sea fly shop. He lives there and his guiding is inexpensive, if he can take you out on his boat he will get you into fish.

http://stsflyfishingshop.com/
    Tiaan

Fly Fishing Addict

Thanks gents your' very helpful.

I think getting a guide is the best way to learn. Will see if I can get hold of Alistair.

Hopefully I can add some salt species to my list and make this trip unforgettable.