Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Difference between High end brand and local brands

Default Difference between High end brand and local brands

Hi guys just two questions and would like your opinions please i have from an novice/intermediate fishermans perspective:

1) How would a top end local brand rod like a Stealth Infinity or Explorer Guide compare with a 5-10 year old rod like a SAGE XP or Z Axis from a build quality graphite,grip etc? Is an old SAGE better than the newer Stealths and Explorers?
    2)Would a average angler notice the difference when casting between the newer Stealth Infinity and the old Sage rod, assuming they both similar action rods?

Thx

The modern rods are a lot faster. I grew up with fibreglass rods and had some of the first graphite rods available and these were a lot slower in action than the modern graphite but I notice that the era of the super fast rod is over. I have to overline the modern rods but my XP's can be used with the stated line size. I have an Explorer Classic 5/6 9 footer and use a normal WF6F on it and prefer the action to the Guide 11 which I would overline to suit my style of casting. I would think for a beginner, it would be easier to learn casting on a medium action rod to a fast action one. My two cents worth. If you need the pulling power to get GT's out of the bricks, then you need a broomstick to turn them.

The Infinity made of carbon fiber, very strong and light rod. I just upgraded my fly rods recently with a Stealth Magnum, Infinity and Bomber. They trial and tested rods for fishing the Vaal River. If you have the bucks than go for the Sage.

I've owned and used both the Infinity and the XP. The Infinity is great value, casts very well and build quality is excellent. Also if you consider the warranty then it's the Infinity all the way. That's what my head says. My heart says I'd rather have the XP, there is that special Sage something...
    The Horizon range by Frontier is also a brilliant option. The range is being refreshed apparently so not all models are available but used ones turn up. I've got a 5wt XRS (it's a 6 wt by the way) which is a really good rod. I'm sure the new ones will be special - I'm expecting lighter snakes and nano resin blanks...

What White Death says is spot on.

My mate broke his SAGE tip just the other day and dragged out the XP to fish with.
    He looked like a newb trying to cast the thing after the TCX - so very slow, but once you compensated for that he was away.
    I've owned most of the models from the XP upwards and still like the old fashioned style rods at times.

Some of the newer rods are too fast and getting an accurate 6 meter cast with a 20 foot leader can be a drama.

The technology gap 25 to 30 years between the top end and lower end rods were HUGE. maybe ASTRONOMICAL.

today the gap between the top end and lower end is very small.

Some brands mentioned in the thread will be mid range. The technology gap, today, between mid range and top range is really small. Most fly fishers will not even be able to recognize the difference
    Korrie Broos

Don't go knocking on Death's door, ring the bell and run like hell. He hates it. (anon)
    Nymphing, adds depth to your fly fishing.
    Nymphing, is fly fishing in another dimension

In my opinion many of the faster action brand rods/models that became popular in the past 10-15 years are not suited to many fly fishers casting style/ability. The brands have to come up with new ranges etc. (like the recent hype with glass rods) and I believe the trend will be more towards easier casting tapers in the years to come. Many more affordable brands understand this and do offer it.

Years back, correct my if I am wrong, Sage and Loomis were the only brands who specified (manufactured) their graphite, compared to the bulk of the rod brands who had access to different qualities/modules of accessible graphite and could then specify or build the tapers.

For my 21st birthday I got a custom build Loomis 9wt (think it was a GL2) 2 piece rod. I broke it and at the time Stealth was just launched in SA, I got a 8/9 two piece Stealth and at the time, that Stealth wasn't far behind that Loomis, ito my casting ability.....

Many rod manufactures have great models in their ranges and often these are the easier casting models.

I want to concur. I usually find the cheaper sages easier to cast - because many times their action is a bit slower and they are way more forgiving to a guy with average casting abilities. I found it much easier to fish with my sage approach than with my sage one. At the moment I have pretty much standardized on sage accels - IMHO super underrated rods. I do find them way better than the offerings from mid tier brands - Im not sure why, I think its because they are very light and forgiving and make the fishing feel effortless if you are casting for hours on end.

But if I had a choice between a super fast sage and a xplorer classic 2, I would probably fish better with the classic 2 (just because of my casting/fishing style).
    Tiaan

Fly Fishing Addict

Quote Originally Posted by yella View Post
    I want to concur. I usually find the cheaper sages easier to cast - because many times their action is a bit slower and they are way more forgiving to a guy with average casting abilities. I found it much easier to fish with my sage approach than with my sage one. At the moment I have pretty much standardized on sage accels - IMHO super underrated rods. I do find them way better than the offerings from mid tier brands - Im not sure why, I think its because they are very light and forgiving and make the fishing feel effortless if you are casting for hours on end.

But if I had a choice between a super fast sage and a xplorer classic 2, I would probably fish better with the classic 2 (just because of my casting/fishing style).
    Tiaan that Sage One sounds horrible, let me know if you need to get rid of it, I'm sure I can help!

My preference the last few years is to rather buy second hand premium sticks such as Sage. I think they hold their value better than some other rods mentioned which aren't really in demand in the second hand market. The Sage VXP range seem particularly good value at the moment, and they suit my casting style (although I like to overline them). You will pick one up for less than the cost of a top of the range explorer.

Please advise where I can purchase VXP's for less than R3000 as the action of those rods suits my style of casting.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast