Page 1 of 15 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast

Thread: The best and worst eating fish

Default The best and worst eating fish

June 11, 2007 'OUTDOOR LIFE'

Best eating, worst eating fish

Look, everybody knows catch-and-release is a necessary fact of life today but it doesn’t preclude the thoughtful (and legal) taking of specific fish from environments that can tolerate careful harvest. Unfortunately, catch-release is elevated to near religious fanaticism among some folks. The advent of release tournament fishing, for instance, has caused a generation of anglers to gasp in horror over the taking of a large or smallmouth bass to eat (interesting that not so many walleye anglers feel that way). And recently out West, one of this country’s finest conservationists, fishing educator, angler and tackle shop owner who kept his trophy-of-a-lifetime brown trout, was treated in some circles to bodily threats, boycotts, and some of the ugliest comments I’ve seen.

Which brings us back to the joy of noshing on a fish-based dinner, and the best candidates for supplying the raw ingredients. This is tough. The only way I can narrow down my favorite eating (and worst eating) fish is to limit the selection first to freshwater species. I’ll get to saltwater fish later. Anyway, here are my choices for the six best and worst eating fish.

BEST

Small Brook Trout from wilderness water, gutted and grilled whole over a low campfire and eaten—skin and all—like cob corn.

Yellow Perch taken through the ice or from really cold water. Behead them, skin them, cut away the lower rib bones with a knife, the sauté or fry.

Wild Salmon (Pacific or Atlantic), preferably brushed with olive oil and grilled over a smoky alderwood fire. Larger, stronger flavored fish are great marinated in equal parts soy sauce, brown sugar and your favorite hooch, then grilled on the barbie.

Walleye in any of a dozen ways, broiled, fried, sautéed. Their lack of distinctive strong flavor lets you go wild with recipes and sauces.

Catfish, preferably smaller channel cats from a clean river. Always deep fried.

Crappie, fried or sautéed, depending on size.

WORST

Bowfin (a.k.a mudfish or grindle). A long time back somebody served me a piece of one as a cruel joke. Gag.

Carp. Unless its smoked and from northern waters.

Sturgeon. Even smoked these things are like rubber. Especially larger ones. Give me their eggs.

Suckers. Flesh is questionable for my taste, and there are way too many bones.

Shad (American). Flesh is sweet but the rats nest of bones makes it hardly worthwhile.

Hatchery trout from marginal put-and-take water. Otherwise I love trout.

OK, anybody have candidates for either of these lists?
    "Innocence is a wild trout. But we humans, being complicated, have to pursue innocence in complex ways" - Datus Proper

Default Best eating

1.Bass - Garlic ,Butter , Some herbs in tin foil over the Braai - stuff the belly with partially cooked rice with peanuts and some lemons butter garlic and herbs yum yum

2.yellow fish - Same as above (jokes)

damn Chris I think you covered it all there
    Last edited by Deneys; 28-06-07 at 08:57 PM.
    NOTICE :

If you notice this notice you will notice that this notice
    is not worth noticing thank you for
    NOTICING

Hi Deneys. MMMM, I have to agree with you on the Bass with Garlic butter.....superb!!

The original posting is an extract from the latest Outdoor life in the States, and it is one guys opinion. I don't think it applies much to South African conditions. Perhaps we should make up a list of our own?

One of my personal favorites is fresh Elf (shad) lightly smoked....mmmmmm, my mouth waters at the thought! There can be few fish to beat shad for succulence and delicacy.
    "Innocence is a wild trout. But we humans, being complicated, have to pursue innocence in complex ways" - Datus Proper

BEST
    1: Red Steenbras
    2: Geelbek
    3: Elf (FRESH) .. fried in butter
    4: Freshly caught hake

WORST
    1: Carp
    2: Carp
    3: Carp
    4: Carp
    I always wanted to be somebody,but now I realize I should have been more specific.
    Alcohol is the anaesthesia by which we endure the operation of life. GBS

Interesting that he puts catfish on the 'best' list though

WORST
    1: Carp
    2: Carp
    3: Carp
    4: Carp[/QUOTE]

hahahahaha

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Shelton View Post
    Interesting that he puts catfish on the 'best' list though
    Yanks are wierd!! .. but then again ... some Eastern Cape farmers go around collecting discarded sea barbel ... they maintain they are delicious!!
    I always wanted to be somebody,but now I realize I should have been more specific.

Quote Originally Posted by Jasper View Post
    Yanks are wierd!! .. but then again ... some Eastern Cape farmers go around collecting discarded sea barbel ... they maintain they are delicious!!
    Apparently sea barbel are excellent eating, especially smoked. Nice firm flesh too. The locals in Namibia consider it a delicacy

Strange how we all have different tastes, for me:

Best:
    Freshly caught Shad baked in oven with onion & tomato....
    Yellowtail
    Geelbek

Worst:
    Carp
    Trout

I just cannot seem to enjoy trout, I suppose I need to find a decent recipe & then try it out?

Cheers

Alan
    Born to fish, forced to work

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Shelton View Post
    Apparently sea barbel are excellent eating, especially smoked. Nice firm flesh too. The locals in Namibia consider it a delicacy
    they are welcome to them!!!

Page 1 of 15 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast