Thread: balloch

Default balloch

hi i'm going to drakensberg in april and will most likely end up at balloch i have read up a bit but almost all the info was from 2012
    any more recent info will be great

Phone the owners as they are knowledgeable anglers. I have not been back since the drought took hold but there is always the dam to fish.

Quote Originally Posted by cameronlochner View Post
    hi i'm going to drakensberg in april and will most likely end up at balloch i have read up a bit but almost all the info was from 2012
    any more recent info will be great
    Fishing has been tough with the stream being almost completely dry for a period of time. We've had good rains over the past few weeks, and the Willow/Vlooikraal is flowing well again. Fishing will be tough, but the fish populations have picked up again since Sept last year. We've had a few spawns, so you will find fish I'm sure! Don't discount Burnbrae just below - there are good holding pools which would have held water (and fish) over the driest of times.
    Mario Geldenhuys
    Smallstream fanatic, plus I do some other things that I can't tell you about

"All the tips or magical insights in the world can't replace devotion, dedication, commitment, and gumption - and there is not secret in that" - Glenn Brackett

thanks guys i'll report back

Any more info on the conditions of the willow or the fishing?

Good rain falling as I am typing this, so the rivers should be doing well.
    (
    Korrie Broos

Don't go knocking on Death's door, ring the bell and run like hell. He hates it. (anon)
    Nymphing, adds depth to your fly fishing.
    Nymphing, is fly fishing in another dimension

How long does it take for a river to build up its population after a prolonged dry spell (over two years if I remember correctly)

Depends on a lot of factors.
    can be 2 to 4 years.
    The food chain has to build itself up for the river to be able to sustain decent populations.
    If the food chain is stunned by to many fish in to short a time, the growth of the fish will be stunted.
    If too little food, a lot of the fish will not make it. A bit of a catch 22, circle.
    A food chain can settle very quickly without serious predation.
    Korrie Broos

Don't go knocking on Death's door, ring the bell and run like hell. He hates it. (anon)
    Nymphing, adds depth to your fly fishing.
    Nymphing, is fly fishing in another dimension

I guess thats about right. We have the same problem at Verlorenkloof, after two very dry seasons.