Thread: Taung Dam, North West

Default Taung Dam, North West

Has anybody fished this dam? Dam has plenty small mouth and large mouth Yellow fish. I seen guys on You Tube catching with lures yellows and huge barber. Water looks crystal clear to. Just checked it's about a 400km drive from Johannesburg.

Looking at some video clips I am surprised on how clear the water is.
    Korrie Broos

Don't go knocking on Death's door, ring the bell and run like hell. He hates it. (anon)
    Nymphing, adds depth to your fly fishing.
    Nymphing, is fly fishing in another dimension

Some of the local people here used to go flyfish there, but apparently the fishing has gone backwards a lot the last few years. I dont know if there is netting going on there or something. The other problem is safety when camping there or leaving your stuff on the side.
    Tiaan

Fly Fishing Addict

Maybe try and make contact with the Windknot Flyfishing Club in Potch/ Klerksdorp. They used to fish it regularly.

Security is an issue, we would take a security guard along to watch the camp while we fished. There is a B&B in the town that can provide someone to watch your vehicle while you are on the water if you stay there (don't recall the name, but I think its the only one there).

I wouldn't bother while the dam is flooding, last time it did that the water was chocolate and the fishing very poor.

Think this is the kind of fishing that if someone is on the spot, calls you and say the fishing is on, you can do the drive and have a good weekend. Otherwise I would rather take the four hours on the road and go to Sterkies.

That said, its always nice to fish some new waters.

I know the area where this dam is well, and as mentioned, it is always great to experience new places, different vegetation, soil types, different climate and different people
    Korrie Broos

Don't go knocking on Death's door, ring the bell and run like hell. He hates it. (anon)
    Nymphing, adds depth to your fly fishing.
    Nymphing, is fly fishing in another dimension

Security of your campsite is a huge issue.
    Armed camp guards are required.
    It's not in the catching, it's in the learning something new.
    view albums at. http://www.flytalk.co.za/forum/album.php?u=659