Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Advice please...

Wink Advice please...

Hello,

My name's Philip and I'm an alcoh... er, sorry, I'm a flyfisherman. :wink:

I live in the Midlands of Natal, in the Kamberg, on a farm with two lovely dams. Because I'm a freelance writer, I can live almost anywhere as long as there's a wi-fi connection.

Here's my question: In early November, we stocked the dams with rainbows around 350 grams. The first two weeks they were rising and throwing themselves out of the water throughout the day, which is to be expected. But since late December, there's not been a movement on the water, and I mean nothing! No early morning or late evening rises, and nothing throughout the day... What's happening? Anyone like to hazard a guess? I'm stumped...

Thanks.

Well fed otters?

stumped aswell...just a few thoughts
    size of dam, comarants, otters, bass, catfish, inflow and outflow of dam, water tempuratures, few 350gr or lots, netters, did you physically witness the stocking

Water temp and oxygen levels.

What is secret coming to live water temp for trout? 16 degrees?

What is the depth of the dams?
    too shallow and the water gets to warm and the fish have no where to go and just die.
    you need depth, I would say at least 6meters. to make sure the bottom stays cool enough for the fish to survive in hot times.
    Korrie Broos

Don't go knocking on Death's door, ring the bell and run like hell. He hates it. (anon)
    Nymphing, adds depth to your fly fishing.
    Nymphing, is fly fishing in another dimension

Quote Originally Posted by Fossil View Post
    I live in the Midlands of Natal, in the Kamberg, on a farm with two lovely dams.

Here's my question: In early November, we stocked the dams with rainbows around 350 grams.
    What was in the dam prior to stocking the trout??
    Mario Geldenhuys
    Smallstream fanatic, plus I do some other things that I can't tell you about

"All the tips or magical insights in the world can't replace devotion, dedication, commitment, and gumption - and there is not secret in that" - Glenn Brackett

or could it be
    Quote Originally Posted by Fossil View Post
    ... er, sorry, I'm a flyfisherman. :wink:.

Thanks everyone... It's a 1 hectare dam, 120 x 350 gram fish. I witnessed stocking. No dead or floating fish... deepest areas 3 metres. Cormorants ... yes, some. Otters ... yes, one who visited recently but he's moved off. No other signs of otters. He can't have eaten 120 can he? Two months before this stocking, lots of trout fry were introduced...

Hi Fossil,

I have been stocking dams between Somerset West and the Paarl for the past 15 years, (know it is not prime trout country) and here is what I have experienced and trust it will help you with future stockings. I trust the fish farmer stocking your dams will also know and give you good advice.

• Trout get stressed and are prone to diseases if stocked above 18 degrees Celsius, when these fish come from a farm where the water is much colder - 12 to 14 degrees. The fish in the tank should adjust by mixing the tank water with the dam water gradually.
    • Fish do jump clear, school together and swim close to the surface when stocked for some time, this also attracting predators.
    • A 3 meter deep dam won't stratify, when wind is also a factor during the summer months, the water turns and warms. Shade helps a lot. Also a cold spring feeding the dam and structure where the fish can hide.
    • White breasted cormorants can eat 25% of their body weight a day, so approximately 350 + grams a day for an adult bird. These are probably what did the most damage, especially if the fish stressed. They can take a 1 kilo fish.
    • Otters do eat trout but prefer crabs, you should see the remnants of dead fish if there is a resident otter, they prefer the head and intestines, usually you will see the rest of dead fish - body.

So it is probably better stocking late autumn or early winter and manage the birds. Good advice is to go and measure the water temperature close to the bottom during Feb and March, if it is 20 or below you are in a good spot, if 22 and up consider stocking another dam.

Thank you for your reply. does this mean you don't think there are any trout left in the dam... ??

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast