Thread: New to South Africa

Default New to South Africa

Greetings all,

I arrived in Johannesburg last Saturday, from New Zealand, and I'm expecting to be here for three years.

My only fly fishing experience is with NZ trout (browns and rainbows) and a very limited crack at salt water, targeting kahawai.

I'm intrigued by the number of species I've read about here. I'm still not sure how much time I will have to explore these opportunities, but if anyone wants to take pity on this African noob I'd be happy to hear from you.

I have created an album to share some of my pics from NZ. Only a few there at the moment but I hope to add more in coming days.

Anyway, thanks for having me at flytalk.co.za

All the best
    GarthS
    <"}}}><\

Hi
    if you do end up in Cape Town, let me know, I will take to for some fishing in the Cape
    I have taken a couple of visitors and foreigners for a day or 2.
    http://www.flytalk.co.za/forum/showt...TER-Yellowfish

I have a trip at the end of April with a Aussie to the Richtersveld if you want to join us?
    Korrie Broos

Don't go knocking on Death's door, ring the bell and run like hell. He hates it. (anon)
    Nymphing, adds depth to your fly fishing.
    Nymphing, is fly fishing in another dimension

Garth you for sure have to catch some yellowfish. There are plenty guys in joburg that drive out to the Vaal river on weekends to fish there - so if you can join someone there it will probably be easiest. Otherwise a trip out to Sterkfontein will be fun.

If you want to drive out to Potchefstroom we can also take you for a day fishing on the Vaal - but its quite a bit further out than the closest venues to Joburg.

Lots of other fish to catch too - but yellows is a good start.
    Tiaan

Fly Fishing Addict

Hi Garth, good to see you have found your way here.
    I'm sure one of the good fellas on this site will help you out. Just don't talk rugby
    Yellowfish are like carp on steroids, and readily take a fly.
    See if someone can take you to a bass dam - they are great fun on surface bugs.

Cheers
    Kevin
    Life is a series of trout missions with that numbing feeling in between...

My Album

Korrie and Yella, thanks for the welcome. Our gear arrived on Thursday so I now have a couple of rod tubes sitting in the back room.

We are travelling back to NZ for our daughter's graduation late March. That's when I'll pick up the 5wt I use most in NZ. The rod got a bit of a workout while we were waiting for visas to come through and, along with a basic selection of fly tying gear, didn't make it into the first luggage allowance.

Still settling in to my role so I'm not sure when I'll be able to get out for a flick. Any offers of assistance would be greatly appreciated, though. I have to confess to feeling a bit daunted by the geographical scope and the range of species available?!

And, Kevin, thanks for the suggestion to hook up here. Some great reading already! I'm still trying to figure out how it is we never got to fish together when I was in the Waikato? Ah well, another time eh?

All the best
    GarthS
    <"}}}></

welcome Icthusiast, nice to meet you and have sent you a pm