Thread: casting french/spanish leaders set up for dry flying

Default casting french/spanish leaders set up for dry flying

hi gents,
    so far this year i have concentrated on using the french or spanish leaders (extended ones), and thoroughly enjoy it. i see it's affectiness and advantages over other nymphing techniques. it has openend a new world to me where tiny flies (size 16, 18 and 20) are the norm on the vaal compared to previous size 10's and bigger. the ability to cast accurately in pocket water, lanes and tiny eddies is a major bonus as i can work additional water ignored in the past.
    without any delay, i want to give thanks to Andre, Korrie and all other members that i have giving invaluable info on this technique.
    i have come to point where i need to get a little more help with the dry fly set up. please correct me if i'm on the wrong track, my thinking is as follows: removing the sighter and having it replaced with a foot long 5x clear tippet, replacing the long 5x and 6x tippet for nymphing with a short length of 7x (about 3 foot) where the dry will attached, then i'll need some additional weight to help with the casting, so i'll add a piece 8x either to the bend of the dry hook, or the the eye of the dry fly or even (if allowed) a little further above the dry forming a dry on dropper, where a size 14 beadless nymph/emerger at the end. i can say that i will struggle casting this light set up. to cast this dry fly leader, do i slow the cast even more, do i add a heavier butt section to assist the cast.
    thanks in advance and for reading

Great pleasure, great to see you are adding a bit of "Depth" to your fishing.
    Get a seperate dry fly leader, as simple as that, do not try to make a dedicated nymphing leader try and do the work of a dry fly leader.
    I will forward you a general purpose leader setup if you want.
    Korrie Broos

Don't go knocking on Death's door, ring the bell and run like hell. He hates it. (anon)
    Nymphing, adds depth to your fly fishing.
    Nymphing, is fly fishing in another dimension

great, thank you korrie, obviously i thought it had much more.
    and yes please ,if it is not to much already, i'd appreciate your mail, imemensily