Thread: Saltwater outfit

Default Saltwater outfit

Hi guys,

I have been following the forum for a while but my first post here!

I am in need of some assistance with a saltwater outfit, I have fly fished trout all these years, but have started playing around in saltwater with a 6wt to see if I want to make the jump... So now looking at putting together something not too expensive. I will be fishing onshore and offshore, KZN north coast up to Sodwana and Mozam.

After looking at some threads here and around the net, I though of a 9wt rod. It will limit me offshore a bit, but for starting purposes probably wont be too bad? Taking the jump to a 12wt seems a bit too much for fishing onshore and around estuaries, and I am already seeing some difficulty making the jump to a much bigger rod than what Im used to.

In terms of the outfit I am looking at the Stealth Bomber or the Reddington Path, with a Sage 2200 or Reddington Behemoth reel. Any advice on these products, or where I might find a good deal? Stealth Bomber looks awesome but Im a bit worried about the 1 year warranty on their rods...

Any help would be appreciated, thanks!

As you stay in KZN, I would suggest that you make a turn at Xplorer and you will get all the advice you need. I would start with a 8# outfit and later a 10# which will cover 90% of your fishing along KZN coast.

Good call. I prefer an 8 all day long, and will generally overline it with a 9 weight line.

If you look at the head weight of the fly line, you will find it in excess of the IGFA weight. Most fly lines are over to compensate for the fast rod action. I like the Red Fish tapers for turning over bulky flies - crab, prawn patterns as well as Gurglers and poppers.

Thanks a lot for the help, will swing by Xplorer.

In terms of brand, Xplorer vs Reddington vs Stealth, all prices in a similar range, any advice?

I have an xplorer T50 in a 9wt as well as a Guide II as a backup rod. Both are very good value for money. The T50 casts big streamers very well and is super strong. My impression is that it is also better in the wind. The guide II is also good and cheaper but I like the T50's look and feel more. The biggest benefit is that they are local so it's much easier and quicker if you need to make use of the lifetime warranty. The T50 obviously doesn't cast as nice as my G.loomis NRX but then again, it's a third of the price...