Thread: Swartkops leervis

Default Swartkops leervis

I am the first to admit that I blank more than is healthy for any fisherman, but then there are those days where the planets align and you get lucky. The days that make you keep coming back for more through the hard times. This was one of those days.

Nice. Leeries are fun. Are there still skipjack to be caught in the Swartkops?
    Life is a series of trout missions with that numbing feeling in between...

My Album

Quote Originally Posted by KevinE View Post
    Are there still skipjack to be caught in the Swartkops?
    Oh yes. The last two I hooked (quite a while ago) I could not even turn with my 8wt. I need a larger reel for more backing or perhaps switch to some thin braid for backing.

A lighter rod would have been appropriate for the leeries in the video, but the last time I took my 5wt a much larger leerie grabbed my flipper and neerly spooled me.

Cool William,

Thank you for sharing.

Have to say, for me still one of the most beautiful saltwater fish around.

Thank you for sharing that for us. Leeries on the surface, so much fun.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Leeries! Love them, no matter what the size. Thanks for the video clip.

Looks like you had fantastic fun - thanks for the video clip!

I will be in PE next week and hope to get in a 2 hr session - are the leeries still around?
    Thanks
    Niel

Quote Originally Posted by Niel Malan View Post
    Looks like you had fantastic fun - thanks for the video clip!

I will be in PE next week and hope to get in a 2 hr session - are the leeries still around?
    Thanks
    Niel
    Mostly small ones but I saw a very nice size caught on bait at the mouth yesterday.
    Also a very nice skippy (looked like at least 90cm) that someone got on lure. They were "finning" all over the place, i.e. that characteristic swirl-and-porpoise as they feed on small minnows just below the surface, and driving me absolutely insane.
    Earlier in the week a guy caught a 7kg grunter (also 90cm+) right here next to the bridge. On bait though, but kudo's to him for releasing it again.
    Got a bit of red tide in the bay that pushes in closer to high tide making the water very murky. Tests report it is fortunately not a poisonous bloom.

Thanks for the feedback - much appreciated. I got in a 3 hour session just seawards of the little harbour on the pushing tide. Did not see any fish activity, apart from one grunter tailing once on the opposite bank. I tried a variety of skipplie, leerie and cob flies, but only lost a small leerie and had another bump from one. They have this knack of bringing you down to earth! Nice to hear there are some skippies around though.