Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Waders

Default Waders

Good morning All

I have scoured the net but this seems to be a difficult task. Where would be the best place to get a pair of waders for float tubing? I have a wetsuit and neoprene boots but fear it may not be enough for float tubing in winter. Prefably looking for a wader with neoprene boots as my flippers wont fit normal gumboots.

Cheers

Jason

PS: I am in Cape Town
    Doug Larson said, "If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles."

I have both Simms & Horizon waders the latter being a very good "budget" option! Frontier Fly-fishing is your answer or Upstream.

thanks Gerrit...they still very pricey tho. R3500.00 for waders is alot.
    Doug Larson said, "If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles."

Try Redington as well but I don't think it's gonna be cheaper.....

Good waders are not cheap, but worth every cent.
    The worst is having waders with leaks all over in the middle of the winter.
    A NIGHTMARE.
    A good pair, with a decent aftersales service is the best.
    Even if you have to save and pinch a couple of cents here and there, get a good quality wader.
    Korrie Broos

Don't go knocking on Death's door, ring the bell and run like hell. He hates it. (anon)
    Nymphing, adds depth to your fly fishing.
    Nymphing, is fly fishing in another dimension

PS: a good quality wader should last you a couple (5 to 9 seasons) in SA.
    And remember waders are not bullet proof bundu bashing clothes.
    A sharp thorn or a barbed wire can push thru it with ease.
    Korrie Broos

Don't go knocking on Death's door, ring the bell and run like hell. He hates it. (anon)

thanks for the responses gents. Im pretty certain that only time I would use a wader is winter when float tubing but also understand the necessity of it. Kingfisher has this one : https://kingfisher.co.za/product/sno...rene-stocking/

for R2665.00 which i think isnt to bad. its either that or a pants of sorts. has anyone floated lakies with wetsuit pants and neoprene socks? want to know if the water temp is bearable?

I started off with my thick diving wet suit at Lakies.
    Not such a great idea, you get out when it is 7 degrees, you are wet, and cold.

Trust me on this one, get a breatable wader, once you have it, the more you will use it.
    I use to wade wet, up on the Witte, in the coldest conditions etc. This is the way to go, according to the experienced Cape fly fishers.
    Now, I use my waders up to end October, It is SOOO nice to be dry, and comfortable on our streams etc.
    When you are wet and a little breeze, you become cold very quickly.
    With breathable waders, you fish the whole day, dry, comfortable, get back to the car, out of the waders and you are dry.

Save some money and buy a set of breathable waders, you will never regret it.
    Korrie Broos

Korrie is right, if you have money spend it on a good pair of waders finish en klaar.

BUT I don't have money. I went super cheap on this one. Went to Somerset Sports and bought a wader that the guys use for Surf fishing. The ones with the boots. Think it cost me R450 some years back. Also got some big size fins that fit over the boots, a pair of long johns and a 'sweetpakbroek' for the real cold days. Fished this set-up for two years 2 to 3 times a week on the dams at Lourensford. Only had one leak in all that time and it was real easy to fix, no problems.

I also used the wader a lot in the surf, now that is harsh conditions with the salt and sand, never a problem.

The waders was unused in my garage for some two years. Saw it when I was packing for the past April holidays and packed it in the Venter waentjie. Then used the waders at Struisbaai fishing the Plaat during the school holidays - still perfect. Only problem is that it fits really tight around my boeppens these days, but that might not be the wader's fault.

My 2c on a cheaper option.

thanks again Gents...so clearly the wader is the better dryer option. will look into it and possibly go the rout of a nylon snowbe and boot flippers.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast