Thread: Recommendations on Western Cape CPS streams/beats

Question Recommendations on Western Cape CPS streams/beats

Howzit!

I'm looking for recommendations on which CPS stream/beat to book before the season closes. Wanting to book and go do some fishing towards the end of this week.

Keeping in mind I am new to the Western Cape and have not fished the waters before. I'd prefer something which is easily accessible and not to difficult to find. Also something that is not too complex to fish. I'm not even concerned if I don't catch anything, would just like to get out there

Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

Quote Originally Posted by MattGeri View Post
    Howzit!

I'm looking for recommendations on which CPS stream/beat to book before the season closes. Wanting to book and go do some fishing towards the end of this week.

Keeping in mind I am new to the Western Cape and have not fished the waters before. I'd prefer something which is easily accessible and not to difficult to find. Also something that is not too complex to fish. I'm not even concerned if I don't catch anything, would just like to get out there

Any ideas? Thanks in advance.
    EP 1 is easy to find and all the Smallblaar beats are easy to find
    Korrie Broos

Don't go knocking on Death's door, ring the bell and run like hell. He hates it. (anon)
    Nymphing, adds depth to your fly fishing.
    Nymphing, is fly fishing in another dimension

Thanks Korrie! Will try EP1.

As a first timer try and get someone to go with you.
    You will learn more in 3 hours with someone than on your own in a month, unless you are a little experienced.
    My advice, is you cannot fish to slow. Take a couple of minutes to watch the water, you will be surprised how many fish is in the water.
    Korrie Broos

Don't go knocking on Death's door, ring the bell and run like hell. He hates it. (anon)
    Nymphing, adds depth to your fly fishing.
    Nymphing, is fly fishing in another dimension

Cheers for the advice.

I'm planning on going to the CPS functions like you recommended to meet some fellow fly fishers and will then hopefully find some people that I can go fishing with and learn from. I know 1 other fly fishing friend in Cape Town, but he's from KZN and also hasn't done much river fishing.

On another note, any special gear that you recommend for the streams? Waders I presume are a must as well as a net. Anything else? My kit is currently quite limited but slowly growing :biggrin:

Quote Originally Posted by MattGeri View Post
    Cheers for the advice.

I'm planning on going to the CPS functions like you recommended to meet some fellow fly fishers and will then hopefully find some people that I can go fishing with and learn from. I know 1 other fly fishing friend in Cape Town, but he's from KZN and also hasn't done much river fishing.

On another note, any special gear that you recommend for the streams? Waders I presume are a must as well as a net. Anything else? My kit is currently quite limited but slowly growing :biggrin:
    99% of the time no need for waders. Just wade wet. Mostly kneedeep only. Can get a bit chilly late in May, but then if there is a cold front the fishing will be bad anyway. Better to go wine tasting.

Net is a personal choice. I stopped taking it along for most of our stream fishing, finding the hassle outweighs the benefit.

100% all the time absolutely essential - a good pair of fishing boots, preferably sturdy with good ankle support and non slip soles, stealth rubber or felt. Our loose round boulders and rocks are difficult to wade in running shoes and late season is more slippery than early season.
    Calling fishing a hobby is like calling brain surgery a job - Paul Scullery

Quote Originally Posted by DJR View Post
    99% of the time no need for waders. Just wade wet. Mostly kneedeep only. Can get a bit chilly late in May, but then if there is a cold front the fishing will be bad anyway. Better to go wine tasting.

Net is a personal choice. I stopped taking it along for most of our stream fishing, finding the hassle outweighs the benefit.

100% all the time absolutely essential - a good pair of fishing boots, preferably sturdy with good ankle support and non slip soles, stealth rubber or felt. Our loose round boulders and rocks are difficult to wade in running shoes and late season is more slippery than early season.
    Excellent advice, appreciate it! Also saves me from buying some cheapy waders while I wait for mine to arrive in the mail

Seeing as the cold-front is about to hit us tonight and through the rest of the week, I'll probably delay my outing until next week.