Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Euro Nymphing question regarding the sighter/indicator?

Quote Originally Posted by saflyfish View Post
    Thanks
    When you go out on the stream/river do you take two rods?Or just one rod?
    When Pascal Cognard was in SA, he showed us how he has 2 reels, One for nymphing etc and one for dry fly.
    I now follow this method, 2 reels, with different leader setups.
    It takes me about 1 minute to change reels.
    Korrie Broos

Don't go knocking on Death's door, ring the bell and run like hell. He hates it. (anon)
    Nymphing, adds depth to your fly fishing.
    Nymphing, is fly fishing in another dimension

Quote Originally Posted by Korrie View Post
    When Pascal Cognard was in SA, he showed us how he has 2 reels, One for nymphing etc and one for dry fly.
    I now follow this method, 2 reels, with different leader setups.
    It takes me about 1 minute to change reels.
    it is expensive if you want to fish the top of the range reels, but I have 2 Stealth reels that I have been fishing with for about 15 years and they work well
    Korrie Broos

Don't go knocking on Death's door, ring the bell and run like hell. He hates it. (anon)

Quote Originally Posted by Korrie View Post
    it is expensive if you want to fish the top of the range reels, but I have 2 Stealth reels that I have been fishing with for about 15 years and they work well
    But then again, Pascal has a special way of attaching his leaders to the fly line. so it is not easy to change leaders.
    The welded loops adds a lot of weight to the front of the fly line. You can fix a mono section of about 30 to 40 cm with a micro ring and then you can change the leaders on the micro ring, which is an easier and cheaper option. You can store your leader that you change on a 2 cm width piece of pool noodle
    Korrie Broos

Do you fish a 9ft 3wt?
    Longer is generally better for Euro nymphing.
    My preference is 10-11ft 3wt for Euro (or if I am only fishing one rod) and 9ft 3wt for dry fly.
    Gary
    Flytyer - Where great flytying begins

Quote Originally Posted by MR.GT View Post
    Disclaimer: I am not a big nymph fishing genius and this may be off topic, but these articles may help.
    tight line nymph rig
    Sighters Seven Separate Tools

The first article deals with how to setup the rig and then at the bottom you will find a 3 part series on Euro nymphing.
    The second article has a lot more to do with different types of indicators, but I think the backing barrel could help you a lot if your trouble is seeing if the leader has movement.
    The problems with the Euro Nymphing techinques are that they are changing and evolving so fast.
    I read the quoted sections, and the leader setup in there is outdated compared to the latest styles.
    The author uses 7 different sighters. Overkill if you ask me.
    I developed a neon green and neon red tacky fly floatant. Perfect for different light and bottom conditions.
    You apply this to your leader setup and it floats the leader, you can "move" it for shallow water or deeper water by simply wiping it off with KLEENEX tissues and re-apply on different part of the leader/tippet.

Another VERY IMPORTANT aspect is casting with these rigs.
    The casting is not your "normal cast" although you do and can use it.
    A lot of the times you will be using a modified roll cast, that is usable in really tight situations as well.
    A very tricky cast to master, but once mastered, highly effective
    Korrie Broos

Gary has had more exposure to the latest styles in Spain, maybe he can share some of his experiences with us.
    i.e. leader setup etc
    Korrie Broos

Instead of carrying two rods i guess i can just put a flyline of matching weight on my 10 footer.This way i can euro nymph,cast a dry or use the tradition strike indicator form of nymphing.
    I would just need to change out leaders.I think in George Daniels book he mentions you either have the entire flyline on the reel or you have a foot or two out the tip.Never anywhere in between as the flyline causes sag.I have the old model sage esn 2wt and i think it casts a DT flyline pretty well.I can get out to 40ft and really no need to go further than this in the small river/streams of kzn that i generally fish.

Instead of carrying two rods i guess i can just put a flyline of matching weight on my 10 footer.This way i can euro nymph,cast a dry or use the tradition strike indicator form of nymphing.
    I would just need to change out leaders.I think in George Daniels book he mentions you either have the entire flyline on the reel or you have a foot or two out the tip.Never anywhere in between as the flyline causes sag.I have the old model sage esn 2wt and i think it casts a DT flyline pretty well.I can get out to 40ft and really no need to go further than this in the small river/streams of kzn that i generally fish.
    It is best NOT to compromise if you truly want to Euro nymph. A 2wt line would be OK - but fishing it for Euro-style would be a compromise, since you do want the thinnest possible line up the rod & out the tip. What you could do if you wanted to euro-nymph is to then have a ~10m long level section of 1X-3X (depending on your sighter diameter). That way the leader change would get you what you are after (you could add a micro-ring to the end of the tapered leader, fish dry or dry/dropper off that, then when you want to Euro, add the 10m section of level line, which means that the fly line & tapered leader will not ever be out the rod tip while fishing.
    NOTE - this is not how it is done in competition, since MAX allowed leader length is 2 x rod length, but is how the Spanish were fishing before the rule change was implemented.
    Gary

thanks Gary some great advise there...i will try it out.
    Is your GUN fly still the best option on most stream/rivers as the point fly when euro nymphing?

thanks Gary some great advise there...i will try it out.
    Is your GUN fly still the best option on most stream/rivers as the point fly when euro nymphing?
    Any tungsten beaded nymph will work. Preferably a slim one, and possibly an oversized tungsten to start with (the point fly MUST carry most of the weight in the 2-fly setup).
    Example - a 3.0mm tungsten on point, with a 2.0m m above.

I and others LIKE the GUN, so for me it generally is the point fly on streams. YMMV.
    Gary

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2