Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Euro Nymphing question regarding the sighter/indicator?

Default Euro Nymphing question regarding the sighter/indicator?

Ive been trying the method on a 10ft rod on two outings.Havnt had much success.Spotting the sighter move is the biggest issue i have.
    The leader i use is approx 9ft tapered leader attached to 2 ft of bi colour sighter material attached to a tippet ring...i then add 3 - 6 ft of 5x tippet material connected to a dual fly setup.
    From what ive read ONLY the tippet material is submerged on the drift and the sighter is kept above the water.I find it difficult to detect movement or hesistation in the sighter suspended above the water.
    Its reasonable easy to see an indicator pause or shoot below the surface to detect a take using a standard strike indicator method.
    Not so easy when using the euro/czech method.

Quote Originally Posted by saflyfish View Post
    Ive been trying the method on a 10ft rod on two outings.Havnt had much success.Spotting the sighter move is the biggest issue i have.
    The leader i use is approx 9ft tapered leader attached to 2 ft of bi colour sighter material attached to a tippet ring...i then add 3 - 6 ft of 5x tippet material connected to a dual fly setup.
    From what ive read ONLY the tippet material is submerged on the drift and the sighter is kept above the water.I find it difficult to detect movement or hesistation in the sighter suspended above the water.
    Its reasonable easy to see an indicator pause or shoot below the surface to detect a take using a standard strike indicator method.
    Not so easy when using the euro/czech method.
    Try a level section of line just thicker than your 3X-1X sighter, instead of the tapered leader. Also preferable to use an ultra light (euro-nymph or 000 wt) flyline. If you do not have one, try turning around the thinnest WF line you have and fish the running line (or just skip the flyline and use ~10m 0X-1X mono. Fish a long, light rod too.
    Beginners will find it easier to learn if the point fly (2 fly setup - heaviest on point) is a little overweighted, making it easier to keep tension through the rig.
    Gary
    Flytyer - Where great flytying begins

Expanding on Gary's post

Make your leader form 3x or 4x, try to get a red monofilament.
    This length should be about 1,5 times your rod lenght. Fix a micro ring on the end of the red leader section.
    Fix a 5 or 6x tippet, about half a rod lenght on the tippet ring.

Your point fly should ALWAYS BE the heaviest fly,
    if the heaviest fly is on the first dropper, the point fly can overtake the first dropper and it will be very difficult to register a take on this fly.

Make sure you lead the flies. (have the slightest of pulls)
    this way there will always be tension on the flies and you will immediately see and feel the take.

I apply thick fly floatant or secret doepa to the to my red leader section. This floats your leader and helps with the take detection.
    The more you "praktoesh" the easier it will be to see the takes.

Another important factor is what type of water do you fish?
    Pocket water or more laminar flows.
    When fishing pocket water, the style and way you fish is completely different to laminar flow when Euro nymphing.
    Korrie Broos

Don't go knocking on Death's door, ring the bell and run like hell. He hates it. (anon)
    Nymphing, adds depth to your fly fishing.
    Nymphing, is fly fishing in another dimension

Thanks Gary but what difference will the level mono section in place of the tapered leader have?
    Also with the sighter above the waters surface how do you detect the take?

Thanks Gary but what difference will the level mono section in place of the tapered leader have?
    Also with the sighter above the waters surface how do you detect the take?
    You generally want to go as thin as you can, as soon as you can - for sensitivity and to prevent the mass of the leader/flyline pulling back through the rod guides.

You watch the sighter, and as Korrie said, you lead JUST enough so you have contact (pressure) on the flies, so you can often feel the takes if they are firm enough. Rather lead a LITTLE too MUCH, than too little.
    Gary

Thanks
    When you go out on the stream/river do you take two rods?Or just one rod?

Disclaimer: I am not a big nymph fishing genius and this may be off topic, but these articles may help.
    tight line nymph rig
    Sighters Seven Separate Tools

The first article deals with how to setup the rig and then at the bottom you will find a 3 part series on Euro nymphing.
    The second article has a lot more to do with different types of indicators, but I think the backing barrel could help you a lot if your trouble is seeing if the leader has movement.
    Last edited by MR.GT; 23-05-17 at 03:50 PM. Reason: fixed link
    So tell me.... How Big's yours?

Quote Originally Posted by MR.GT View Post
    Disclaimer: I am not a big nymph fishing genius and this may be off topic, but these articles may help.
    tight line nymph rig
    Sighters Seven Separate Tools

The first article deals with how to setup the rig and then at the bottom you will find a 3 part series on Euro nymphing.
    The second article has a lot more to do with different types of indicators, but I think the backing barrel could help you a lot if your trouble is seeing if the leader has movement.
    UNFORTUNATELY I WOULD NOT SUGGEST FOLLOWING THE NYMPH RIG ARTICLE. The US-target audience is not up to speed with how the European's actually fish this technique.The links to the 3 part series by Devin are good - I know Devin personally and he is a good angler (just skip the leader specifications).

THE SIGHTER ARTICLE HAS SOME USE, BUT CAN MAKE THINGS MORE COMPLICATED FOR A NOVICE.
    Last edited by GGY; 23-05-17 at 04:06 PM.
    Gary

Thanks
    When you go out on the stream/river do you take two rods?Or just one rod?
    Depends. One rod is easier to fish. You then need to either pick a technique (eg Euro) and stick with it (or change lines to fish dry, dry/dropper if required, though dry/dropper can be fished off a euro rig at close range too).
    Two rods (one Euro, one Dry, dry/dropper) is ideal, but takes getting used to.

I would suggest one rod for most non-competition angler.
    Gary

Do you fish a 9ft 3wt?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast