Thread: Yellowfish Season? Natal Yellows/Scalie

Default Yellowfish Season? Natal Yellows/Scalie

So I have noticed that people say that you should'nt fish for yellows in winter. Why is that? What I mean is that they only spawn in the spring after the first few big rains, from what I can tell from doing research. I have not been targeting yellows because of this and due to trout spawning I have not been on the river for weeks now, the bass are also getting a bit boring and slow, still around and still taking flies off the top and bottom. but there are some stillwaters for trout near me but prefer flowing water and unfortunately I live too far from the Tigers but itching to throw a line at something fun. I have been to the river and saw a school of about 200 yellows slowly making their way upstream but didn't want to be unethical towards their 'season'. The river in question only gets fished by a handfull of people and is a secret, so don't ask about location
    :tongue::wink:
    I am talking about Natal Yellows or Scalie.

Any advice/insight would be greatly appreciated.

Could it be that the waters in question are those that are shared by trout who are obviously spawning now?

Hi, I dont know of any reason not to fish for them in winter, especially in places where you wont find trout. Many streams clear up in the winter and that makes for good yellowfish fishing for all the different species.
    Tiaan

Fly Fishing Addict

read sometime last week, probably on FB, the powers that run some trout rivers may not close this season for trout spawn. anyways cant see why you cant fish for yellows besides land owners refusing you entry.

Ahh I see, Thanks so much for the insight and info. Will definitely not hesitate to throw some flies at them.

Quote Originally Posted by meandmetoo View Post
    I have been to the river and saw a school of about 200 yellows slowly making their way upstream but didn't want to be unethical towards their 'season'. The river in question only gets fished by a handfull of people and is a secret, so don't ask about location
    Central berg right? If it's the river near the golf course, it's not as secret as you may think
    You are a perishable item. Live accordingly.

Quote Originally Posted by GrahamS View Post
    Central berg right? If it's the river near the golf course, it's not as secret as you may think
    Not a golf course in sight and it is not quite in the Centeral berg. I know for a fact that hardly anyone fishes there besides the local subsistence fishermen. Of all the fly fishermen in the area I have spoken to only a few know the river let alone the spots on it. I have been sworn to secrecy, haha.

Quote Originally Posted by meandmetoo View Post
    So I have noticed that people say that you should'nt fish for yellows in winter. Why is that? What I mean is that they only spawn in the spring after the first few big rains, from what I can tell from doing research. I have not been targeting yellows because of this and due to trout spawning I have not been on the river for weeks now, the bass are also getting a bit boring and slow, still around and still taking flies off the top and bottom. but there are some stillwaters for trout near me but prefer flowing water and unfortunately I live too far from the Tigers but itching to throw a line at something fun. I have been to the river and saw a school of about 200 yellows slowly making their way upstream but didn't want to be unethical towards their 'season'. The river in question only gets fished by a handfull of people and is a secret, so don't ask about location
    :tongue::wink:
    I am talking about Natal Yellows or Scalie.

Any advice/insight would be greatly appreciated.
    Natal Yellowfish are actually a good fish to target during winter, the rivers don't receive rain and the clarity is good. May is an exceptionally good month to target them.