Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Are we ignoring good fishing around the corners?

Also really against fishing in polluted waters, I have caught an iron in some of these waters, know of some fly fishers who caught a 44DDD bra, a condom and so on. Sies, nevermind handling the fish.

Quote Originally Posted by Winelands Fly Fishing View Post
    Also really against fishing in polluted waters, I have caught an iron in some of these waters, know of some fly fishers who caught a 44DDD bra, a condom and so on. Sies, nevermind handling the fish.
    You never know what will take your fly, so much more interesting.
    Korrie Broos

Don't go knocking on Death's door, ring the bell and run like hell. He hates it. (anon)
    Nymphing, adds depth to your fly fishing.
    Nymphing, is fly fishing in another dimension

Quote Originally Posted by Korrie View Post
    Have you caught any fish there?
    Of course.. lol

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
    I think no innocent species of wit or pleasantry should be suppressed; and that a good pun may be admitted among the smaller excellencies of lively conversation.
    James Boswell.

[T]his planet is covered with sordid men who demand that he who spends time fishing shall show returns in fish. ~Leonidas Hubbard, Jr.

Quote Originally Posted by nicholas View Post
    Of course.. lol

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
    Just checking.
    Korrie Broos

Don't go knocking on Death's door, ring the bell and run like hell. He hates it. (anon)

besides the poor state joburg ponds are in, these ponds are little gems. they can fished all year round even in winter, in winter they produce fish relatively better than big waters because fish are tightened up in the deeper sections of the pond. fish also feed better because of the lack of food in small area, but in most cases one needs a floating device and a kickboat or pontoon, this is an ideal tool, fun and easy to use.
    these ponds also hold some good size fish and variety of species. my personal best blue kurper, vlei kurper and carp came from these ponds. plenty nice bass although my pb bass was landed from a big dam, the obvious fattest rainbow and brown was landed from a pond too. funny thing is, when i brag about my pb i never mention where it was caught, i should be more forthcoming and give credit where needed.

another important thing is the stocking of these dams, legends like Charles Norman helped alot in stocking a number of dams, promoting the sport unlike today. i guess laws and unwilling volunteers add to the poor state of these ponds.

Quote Originally Posted by dollar View Post
    another important thing is the stocking of these dams, legends like Charles Norman helped alot in stocking a number of dams, promoting the sport unlike today. i guess laws and unwilling volunteers add to the poor state of these ponds.
    I think a lot has to do with the "hungry Population" that catches dinner for themselves.
    If you are a homeless person and there is fish in a pond, that you can catch and cook open an open fire, why will you go hungry?
    the problem is that the guy that did the stocking now says "what is the use if I stock it and the bergie/homeless/beggar/SOB take it for him" ?
    I have seen the bergies at Liesbeeck river make jigs with "bloudraad and baal tou" to jig the carp for dinner.
    I would do the same if I am hungry
    Korrie Broos

i guess you right Korrie, it will become a full time job stocking, promoting catch & release and chasing/controlling the hungry. in some cases, managing these ponds need additional expenditure, fence, gates, guards, bins, even the occasional culling of fish to preserve a healthy balance. yep to much for a volunteer or two, would be nice if the municipal saw its potential and lift their game for a happy neighbourhood, pretty sure taxes are allowed for this but like zuma needs are more important

then you have fishing licences.
    Are you going to buy a fishing licence if you cannot even afford a bread?
    very difficult choices and scenarios
    Korrie Broos

we do live in a complex/difficult society.
    But the other side of the coin is Switzerland, where a couple of years ago, they had a problem with people committing suicide because of boredom. (everyday day same as yesterday and the day before and so will be tomorrow and the day after that etc etc etc.)
    Korrie Broos

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast